A Goodbye Letter

On the same bus back to Fortaleza, I was holding an envelope Irani had given me before we left. It had my name on it.

"Percy, I found this in my bedroom. It is a letter from Vitória. She must have written it while she was changing clothes."

Dear, Percy

I have to tell you, I really enjoyed seeing your frustration on the bus when I left you alone. Your stray puppy face was so cute and priceless. But I would never spend the night with a boy I just met, even if I liked him A LOT.

My answer to you is yes. Yes! I want to go to New York with you. See the big apple, the snow, your family and friends.

But I have one condition: You have to see the moonrise with me at the beach first.

Deal?

Love,

Vitória

"Deal..." I said it.

At Fortaleza's International Airport I was ready to go back to New York.

"Percy?"

"Yes, Grover?"

"Thanks for your help, man."

"No sweat. Sorry for everything I said before. You were right."

"I wish I was wrong, Percy. I'm sorry."

We shook hands. Our friendship was Ok.

"I was wondering." Grover had a question. "Do you think that Mr. Rocha really had a change of heart?"

"What do you mean?"

"Irani had the same powers as her mother. She could have enchanted them to do whatever she wanted with her exquisite singing."

"Such as protecting the Rain Forest and giving up their illegal business?" I asked suspiciously.

"Something like that, yeah."

"Well, Grover. I don't know, man. At least she's doing something good out of this mess. She's changing the world for the better. And they all seemed to be very happy about it."

"What are you going to tell Chiron?"

"That her daughter is smarter than he thinks. And he should visit her someday. Good-bye, Grover. That's my flight. Good luck with your search for Pan!"

"Thank you. You have a nice trip."

As soon as I entered the Boeing, I excused myself to the bathroom, wore Annabeth's invisibility cap and got inside the tank of water destined to New York's Aquarium. With the compliments of the State of Ceará.

Inside the tank, there were species from South America such as the Yellowtail Damselfish and Greenback Parrotfish. However, the one that caught my attention was a beautiful Vitória-Régia. It had white petals and yellow stamens. It kept me company during the whole trip.

THE END