Chapter 11

I wake up and stretch out my body, looking around, i was laying on the couch.

I watch as the embers in the Wood Burner die down completely.

This life clearly wasn't for me, living nearly off the grid.

I stand up and stretch, i look towards my door hesitantly, maybe i should say goodbye to them?

They would question me for certain, i decided to leave a note with the house keys on the top, i'm sure they'll visit, i'll even leave the door unlocked for them.

I sigh before grabbing my gloves and scarf and wrapping them around my neck and hands.

I decide to jog to the dock, it'll warm my body and i should still make the next boat.

I walk out the door, closing it before jogging away through the forest, staying off the path Just out of sight of any eyes looking out the windows.

My duffel tapped against my side as my legs moved in a nice rhythm.

I see the boat approaching as i pause on the dock, the front passes by the dock and i wait until the opening before jumping onto it.

So much for them supposedly stopping when they see someone on the dock.

I lean on the railing as we pass the other little islands, never stopping at any of their docks.

I stifle a yawn as i see people warily looking at me, i glare at each of them.

I see us finally approaching the mainland before the boat finally stops.

I immediately jumped off and ran to the road before looking around carefully, i needed a cab or i'd have to walk miles to the airport.

I didn't spot any cabs though.

I start walking along the single road leading towards the small town that housed the small airport, i hear the flapping of a large bird and look under, seeing a large bat high up in the air.

I shake my head and start my jog, i hear wings closer and pause to look up again, seeing the bat flying back up.

How strange.

I continue my jog, turning it into a faster run as i feel my body heat up.

I frown as i hear the sound of wings once more but i choose to ignore it as i wanted to get to the airport.

I feel a wind at my back and decide to duck down just in case, i see a man sized creature fly in front of me before flying up.

The bat.

I stared at it in awe for a second before snapping out of it and continuing on my way, maybe it was some kind of mutated bat mixed with human DNA?

Or the other way around, it didn't seem like it would hurt me or it would have done it in the first two swoops.

I hear it dive and face towards it confused, what was it doing.

I only had another 20 minutes of jogging until I'd reach the airport.

I see it fly low as it gets closer before landing in front of me "um, hello?" I question.

It waves it claws at me and i tilt my head curiously, can it not talk?

"You can't speak?" I ask and it wiggles a claw from side to side "you know people shake or nod their heads, not wiggles their fingers to mean yes or no" it was the creature's turn to tilt its head.

"Well sorry, i gotta go. It was nice meeting you?" I turn away and start my walk again, i hear the slow flap of wings and see the creatures circling above me "sorry, did you need something Mister?" I try to be nice, but my annoyance was edging into my voice.