Ash lays in bed, staring at the ceiling. "Pika, Pika?" His Pikachu asks wonderingly. "Pikachu, being a champion is hard. You must be tired... But I always wonder if I can travel the world while being champion. Do you agree? Should we set out tomorrow?" He caresses the Mouse Pokemon and smiles at the ceiling. "Pika." It yawns, settling down to doze off. "Oh well. I take that as a yes." Ash closes his eyes, and gets enveloped in a repeating dream.

In the dream

"Hey daddy!" Young Ash shouted, running in his pajamas. "Get away, pest." Ash stumbled back, unsure why his dad was treating him this way. "Daddy, are you angry?" He asked, brushing himself off.

"A young pest like you wouldn't understand."

"Daddy, what's a pest?"

"Shut it!" Ash's dad shouted, slapping him. Ash's dad pulled his hand away in shock, wondering why he just slapped his own son. "Waaah!" Ash cried, running to his mom's room.

"Ash, why did I hear a slapping sound?" Delia asked worriedly, noticing that Ash was holding his cheek. "Daddy slapped me." He managed out through the crying. Delia held him into a warm hug, then looked up. "Ash, let me tell you something. Your dad is in a bad state. He's going to leave. We got a divorce." Delia fake smiled at Ash. "What's a divorce?" He choked out.

"You'll find out later." And his dad was gone

Leaving the dream

Why did he have that dream constantly? He never found an answer. He wanted to ask his mom, but that would hurt her. He wakes up and checks the time on his clock, waking up early to his dream. It was 6:00 am. He checked the date. What was it? February 23? Oh right... his 4th anniversary of his dad leaving. What an amusement it was. Pikachu didn't know, right? Unless his mom told him.

"Ash, are you up?" Delia walks into his room, a towel in her hand. He nods at her, and she sits down in his desk chair. "I assume you know what day it is today..." She picks up a Pidgey plush and sets it on her lap, "It's the 4th anniversary. 4 years is pretty long, right?" She doesn't wait for an answer. "Your dad is coming back. He said he wants to see you... But I know he's up to no good. This may be surprising, but... You have to leave the house. As soon as possible. Don't stop by anywhere. Just run. Run away." She throws him his backpack, awakening Pikachu.

"Mom..!" Ash goes to hug her quickly, then packs his essentials. He keeps whatever team he has, which is his World Coronation Series Team. "Pika?" Pikachu wonders, and Ash explains. He runs into Delia's lap, then starts to cry a little. "Don't worry." She whispers, and strokes its fur. Ash finishes packing his things, and Delia hands him a wallet. "For you." Ash takes it and stuffs it in his backpack.

"Goodbye..." He cries out, giving one last hug. He rushes out of the door, Pikachu on his shoulder. "Have fun, Ash." Delia manages, unable to stop her tears. Ash runs out the door, wiping away his tears. Instead of heading down to Professor Oak's lab, he runs straight down the dirt path, into a patch of trees. "Pikachu. It's time to tell you the truth." He sets his partner down, then stands in front of it.

"My dad left this very day, 4 years ago," He starts, tears forming again, "And now he's going to come back. 4 years ago, he slapped me. I used to have a hard bruise until I turned 9. So we have to run away, that's why." He points at his cheek. Pikachu whimpers and jumps into his arms, and they embrace each other for a moment. Suddenly, they're interrupted by a loud rumble.

They look up into the sky, finding a silhouette of a... flying ship? He shielded his eyes from the sun, watching the ship land. It launched a few hooks, securing a spot within the trees. They admire the ship, with its big balloon and deck. Ash and Pikachu hide behind a bush, waiting for the ship's next move. A 20 year old looking man with white hair walks outside onto the deck, a Pikachu with a Captain's hat following him. "We've arrived in Kanto, everybody!" He announces, and a girl with blonde pigtails walks out.

"Vaporeon, I adore your aquarius grace, your flower, your beauty shines in every place, with fins and aqua jets, you swim with ease, riding the currents with... Oh, I forgot." The girl says with a melody, then knocks her head in forgetfulness. "I was going to sing that to Professor Oak, but..." She sighs and knocks her head again. "Don't worry, Avvika Leyne. You'll memorize it soon enough." 3 other kids show up on the deck, one with black and blue hair, one with red-magenta hair, and one with purple and pink hair that covers her eyes.

Professor Oak? Ash wonders, guessing what type of business they have with him. Suddenly, a voice interrupts everybody. "Where is he? Delia, show me where Ash is!" A demanding voice shouts, and Ash immediately knows. He jumps in front of the people then quietly shouts at them. "That's my dad. He's mean and he can harm people. We have to hide. Outside is not safe." They seem surprised, but they follow him because he's the Champion.

They open the door so they are free to enter, then hide behind curtains, shelves, doors, anything, trying to hide from what Ash called his father. Ash hides in a big closet with 'Avvika Leyne'. "So, your father?" She whispers to him, keeping her space on the other side of the closet. Ash nods, "My father harmed me when I was younger... And he left us, so now he's somehow back." He grunts, sitting down on the opposite side of the closet, clutching Pikachu to his chest.

"It's nice to meet the Champion, except it could have been a better state." She smiles, her blonde hair waves in her face. "I'm Avvika Leyne, an aspiring musical artist. Nice to meet you." She whispers. Ash nods, taking in this information.

"Oh, it's nice to meet a fan, want a battle later?"

"Erm... battle? I don't think Meloetta and Chatot are the best for battle. Yes, I have Meloetta. Some fans call us Melody Leyne, or Melody Lane. It's weird having a middle name like that. Oh, maybe I can find a new Pokemon, or borrow one. That may work, if you want a battle."

"No, don't worry. I'll ask the white-haired man if I can have one with his Pikachu. Or one of those 3 other people."

"Friede? The other 3 are Dot, Liko, and Roy. But also on ship, there's Mollie, Orla, Murdock, and Old Man Ludlow."

They are interrupted by a loud rumble, followed by a scream. "Gio, he's not here! He left! A champion can't just sit in place!" He hears his mom plead. Mom, please stop... Dad is going to slap you, too. You can stop fighting. Please. Ash's thoughts seem to make it to her, and the pleading stops abruptly. "That's true." His dad says, and they leave. Ash sighs in relief, then opens the closet door. "We can come out now." Avvika Leyne announces, and everybody crawls out of their hiding places.

"He's chasing my family. He wants to get us back." Ash tells them firmly, summarizing the problem.

"Well, you better run then, champ. If you don't wanna die." A pink haired woman comes out of a room, Chansey beside her. "Mollie! You expect him to run?! When he can just fly with us?" A muscular man walks out of what Ash thinks is the kitchen room. "Murdock's right." Friede says, then turns to Ash. "Would you like to join us? We got a spare room."

"Well, if my murderous dad is on the loose, please, thank you." He bows gratefully, and Pikachu follows.

"Welcome to the Rising Volt Tacklers!" They announce, and Ash smiles.

End Chapter

1330 words