Chapter 1- Elevator

18/12/2012

The leaves rustled under my feet as I walked home from my shift at Burí, a local pizza place. I shivered as the cold wind whistled in my ears, sending chills down my spine. The pale moon gave off a dim moonlight. I looked around, noticing the warm, soft light it gave off, somehow making me realize how tired I was and making me realize that my feet were sore and hurting from the long day.

At that time, I was living alone in a small apartment in Israel. I had shifted there about a month ago and quickly discovered that there weren't many people living in the apartment I had moved into. The first few floors were under repair, so I was forced to live on the fourth floor. I had shifted to Israel to study in a very respected Culinary school, where I spent about half of my day. I spent the rest of the day working at Burí, returning home at around 8 or 9 pm. All I needed in my apartment was to sleep and spend the weekend.

Yawning, I walked towards the elevator. I pressed the button and waited. Soon, the door opened. I was about to step in when I felt a hand on my shoulder, making me freeze in alarm. A choked scream escaped my mouth just as I got pulled back. I whipped around, trying to glimpse the person who pulled me, half expecting to find my murderer to be standing there.

"Excuse me, the elevator isn't working properly. It gets stuck sometimes. Don't go in there for now. It will be checked out tomorrow." a man said, pointing towards a sign stuck above the buttons. My furiously thumping heart slowed down a little. He had long hair covering his eyes. His appearance, for some reason, sent chills down my spine.

"Oh, thanks a lot," I mumbled, feeling my face burn.

"That's alright. Do you live here? What's your name?" he asked.

"My name is Gabriella Brown. Yes, I live on the fourth floor."

"Bye, ma'am. See you around."

I turned and retook a look at the sign. 'DO NOT ENTER! Elevator under repair.' Said the piece of paper in big letters. I turned around to say goodbye to the man, but when I did, he had already disappeared.