Find Me A Man

Allie's P.O.V

Six o'clock the following day had rolled around far too quickly, and I found myself sat on my bed beside Jeanne, who couldn't believe I was blowing her off.

"You're telling me he just approached you, in the middle of the path, and asked you out?" Jeanne enquired for the millionth time.

"Yes," I nodded. "That's exactly what happened,"

"And you're not at all worried about going to meet up with him?" She asked, again, for the millionth time. And I shook my head, not entirely sure why.

"No, he seemed perfectly normal to me," I sighed, before walking towards the mirror which was situated on my dressing table, and ensuring my makeup was still intact. Thankfully, it had not smudged in the five minutes which had passed since I'd last checked.

"If you think any of that is normal, then I have deep concerns about your concept of the term normal," Jeanne shook her head, but still came up behind me to ensure my hair looked reasonable, and for that I was grateful.

"I'm not sure he's even a wizard, that's the hard part. He could be, but again he could not be, how do you enter that conversation?" I pondered, suddenly worried about how to approach the situation. It was against wizarding law to expose a Muggle to magic, however I wouldn't want to not know.

"Maybe you leave magic out of it. You don't know you'll ever see him again, especially if he isn't a wizard. Maybe you just enjoy a little summer fling and then you leave it at that? It doesn't need to go deeper," Jeanne suggested. "You don't need to go and fall in love with the guy,"

"I guess you're right," I sighed.

"Anyway, if you're so certain he's normal, and you're not worried about meeting him, why are you still sat here with me at five past six?" Jeanne wiggled her eyebrows, feeling she had definitely caught me in my lie.

"Shit!" I exclaimed, jumping up and grabbing my handbag. "How do I look?"

"Positively fuckable," Jeanne smirked at me, and I felt my cheeks going red. It should be said, at this point of the story, that I'm a virgin who went bright red at the mere thought of genitalia. I certainly was not about to have a hot, wild summer with the boy.

"Jeanne!" I scolded, swatting her arm with my hand, and she giggled at me.

"You look beautiful! He is going to thank his lucky stars, and old Ratty, for that matter," The smirk was slowly turning to a genuine smile, and I felt myself relax a little bit. I looked down at my outfit and felt that I had made a reasonably good decision, my pale yellow sundress making my suntan even more prominent.

"Now go!" Jeanne encouraged, and I took one last deep breath, mildly questioning my own sanity and judgement, and headed off towards the unknown.

If only I had known just what I was headed towards, maybe I would have ran.

Or, perhaps, I would have ran in the opposite direction.