Chapter 3: Whispers of Magic

"Good afternoon, Hoseok-ssi."

The young woman on the ferry greeted as Hoseok settled down the car on the ferry. Then her attention was shifted to the newcomer beside him.

"And you must be Jeon-ssi."

"Jungkook-ssi meets Seo Yeong-ssi." Hoseok introduced them to climbing down from the car. "Seo Yeong-ssi, this is Jeon Jungkook. Our new guest."

Jungkook didn't like the way Hoseok had introduced him. He felt like the other was trying to sugarcoat the fact of who he was and why he was here.

"I'm an inspector from AMB." Jungkook said this after climbing out of the car with a smile. "Nice to meet you."

He felt Seo Yeong's eyes were on his body like every woman did at the first meeting with him, so he didn't mind. And he could notice the light blush on her cheeks as he took his hand.

"If you want to ride back to a village, just call me in advance." She said while shaking his hand. "I can come anytime."

Jungkook felt Hoseok was trying to hold his laugh from a side at their interaction. But not caring for him, Jungkook flashed another smile.

"Thank you, Seo Yeong-ssi. You're very kind."

He knew he was clearly taking advantage of his good looks. But he didn't care. He had a face of God and a well-defined body that attracted both women and men. So, why not take advantage of that? It was good to have a ride to go back to the mainland at any time. Especially, when he didn't have much idea about what was going on that mysterious island.

After exchanging a few charming words with Seo Yeong Jungkook, he went to take the restless Bam out of the car.

"Woof."

Dobermann jumped with excitement as a cold breath of sea wind passed through his fur, caressing him softly. Jungkook also couldn't help but smile warmly at the feeling of sea breath caressing him. Certainly, this wasn't the first time he had been at sea. He always loved the sea. He didn't know why, but when he stared at the endless cerulean layer, he felt like it was whispering some secrets with the beat of the symphony of crashing waves that could only be heard by him. And now, even in the middle of a completely remote area, that feeling hadn't changed. If possible, he felt like there was some magic added to it.

"You seem quite charming."

A voice brought back his attention. Hoseok stood by his side, looking at him with an amused grin. He was wearing his sunglasses back, and his white shorts and lossy yellow shirt clearly matched the vibe of the sea. Jungkook didn't know why, but he felt there was something with this man. Like he wasn't the one he was letting on. There were lots hidden under the simple, sunny smile.

"Well, I cannot let my handsomeness waste away." Jungkook shrugged.

To the surprise of Jungkook, the other man chuckled loudly. The sound of merry giggles mixed well with the sound of waves carrying away to endless places.

"You're different than what we expected." Hoseok said after his laughter died down.

"Ah?" Jungkook raised an eyebrow. "What did you expect?"

"Well, we certainly didn't expect someone younger like you." Hoseok's eyes were on Jungkook with interest. "We heard inspectors were quite old fellows."

"I got that quite a lot." Jungkook said, humming. Yeah, he had heard quite often that he was too young for this job. "But what to do? I'm quite talented, passed all the exams at a young age, and climbed up quickly. Those old fellows can't catch up to me."

Jungkook didn't deny the fact that he was the youngest person appointed to the inspector post. He was very proud of his achievements and didn't let go of a chance to boast about them.