Chapter 1~ Joel

Joel's P.O.V

The black and white piano keys did not appeal to me this evening, hadn't appealed to me in a long time now. My hands were poised over the keys, but the silence and void in my soul resounded in the whole house. Everyone else was long asleep as I sat in front of the grand piano, my once upon a time haven until life's path took a detour on me a year ago.

Time was a precious gift, one which was meant to be treasured till it was taken away. A leased gift which was meant to be returned when the gifter deemed it right.

Tomorrow was going to be the beginning of the last semester of final year, one of the many things I didn't want to look forward to in my life anymore. Straightening to my full height, I moved to my room, heading straight to the attached bathroom. My eyes met their reflection in the mirror.

I was six foot three, a little too tall and built for my age. Both of those characteristics I got from my father. I had a darker shade of my mother's glassy green eyes, the only physical link I had to her. My brown hair had grown longer, and I knew I needed a haircut. But such things were meant for those who had time, and I was not one of them.

I closed my eyes, blocked out my appearance and maybe reality, and massaged the tension out of my neck as I prepared to phase tomorrow, which was most probably the last phase of my life.

********************************************