8: In Which She Reads Between the Lines

******************************

“I was starting to worry that you’d been burned at the stake by the locals.”

Alain’s familiar voice was laced with familiar concern and my shoulders hunched up before I finished locking up my store and turned to face him.

“We witches are harder to kill than you think,” I said dryly, shoving the bunch of keys into my handbag.

Alain smiled at my sarcastic tone. “Do you witches say yes to humble townsfolk who ask you out to find out where you get your tans?”

“Not today. I’ve got a heap of crap to do,” I said tersely.

His brow creased. “Did I do something wrong, chérie?”

“Look, don’t you have some wine to taste? I’ve got to get home.” I pushed past him and made for my car, almost ripping the door out.

“If you think I’m hitting on you –”

“I don’t think you’re hitting on me,” I snarled, whirling around and startling him. “I think you’re just genuinely being nice and I don’t deserve that, okay? I’m such a bitch. I hurt the people I care about and even the people I don’t. So stop being so damn nice!”

My gaze wandered to the couple that was uncomfortably trying to get past us. Colin, who’d let his hair grow out, was hand in hand with Vicky. In matching ‘I’m with Stupid’ pullovers, it didn’t take a genius to grasp the fact that my best friend’s sister was shagging my ex.

“Hi, you gorgeous pair,” I said cheerfully, and Vicky’s pale skin turned a deep crimson.

“Francesca, Alain – hello,” she mumbled, unable to meet my eye.

“It’s okay,” I said soothingly. “You’re welcome to Colin. I’m pleased that you’re visibly making him happy.”

Colin arched a brow. “Oh, you are?”

I sighed heavily. “I’m sorry I disappointed you, Colin. I never meant to hurt you.”

To my surprise, he simply shrugged. “I suppose I was too hasty in my decision.” His eyes travelled to Vicky. “But with her, everything’s perfect.”

Alain’s eyes flickered over me, obviously trying to gauge my reaction to that.

“Well, that’s just...lovely. See you all later.” I got into my car and watched them skip along, still hand in hand.

Schoolteachers, I thought witheringly.

Alain leaned into my open window. “That was amazing,” he said in astonishment. “Why doesn’t Cheaters have ex-couples like you two?”

“Shut it,” I muttered.

He laughed. “Have a good evening, then, chérie. My offer of coffee still stands. Whenever.” And he left.

*~*~

Yaya was waiting for me when I got home. Legs propped up on my couch with EastEnders on the telly, she looked like an apparition. I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them again. Yep – she was still there, a half-empty wine glass in hand.

“Why do you buy the cheap stuff?” she commented when I shuffled into the room, a bewildered expression on my face. She scrunched her face up in disgust. “Tastes like drain water.”