[ night 01 :: beginning ]

87 days ; 4 hours; 3 minutes

He pushed open the rusted, metal door which led to the slightly weathered roof. It was about 8:00 p.m. on the mild summer night in the middle of a growing city. The streets were crowded with people as they always were and thousands of different lights shone all around him, lighting up the sky like a beacon. His eyes momentarily scanned his surroundings to take everything in, even though he didn't expect to find something unusual. Which he didn't. He then took a few steps, and climbed up onto the ledge of the roof- not caring about the fact that just the slightest push would guarantee an impending doom. He turned to the side and started treading forward, by placing one foot in front of the other, aligning them perfectly as he did so, attempting to keep his balance. He showed no fear, as he paced around, from one corner to another- not once losing his balance; not even slightly.

He stared up at the night sky as he paced along, on the ledge, wondering what was out there. He had never admitted to being afraid of something as he found fear to be irrational, but thinking about what could be found in outer space terrified him. Not because he might find things that would be inexplicable, but because he would probably never get out there to see it for himself and sort it all out. Panic rose through his chest at such thoughts but he quickly swept them away, as though they were no heavier than a feather. He then lowered his gaze and halted abruptly, feeling slightly confused at the sight in front of him.

On the other corner of the roof sat a certain someone, with their legs hugged close to their chest and their chin rested on top of their knees. He couldn't make out any feature except for the fact that it was a male, as the stranger was no more than a mere silhouette to him, but he was determined to do so. He kept on walking slowly, trying not to make a single sound. Who could it be? thought he, as he crept closer to the shadowy figure. He had never seen anyone come up here, besides the occasional maintenance guy. He actually hadn't even seen or heard him walk in, which confused him since he knew the door made a terrible racket whenever someone pushed it open or closed it. How did he get in here? thought he, immediately berating himself for such a question. Unless whoever it was had Spiderman powers, he must have obviously stepped in through the door. But how he did it in such a quiet manner, he did not know.

"Uh- hi," said he, in a rather low tone as he sat as close to the stranger as he deemed possible. He immediately felt disappointed when he got no reply.

A few minutes of awkward silence followed before he spoke again, louder this time, seeing as the stranger hadn't heard him.

"Hello, uh- you." said he, not knowing how to properly address him. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Again, no reply came. Hopefully, he hadn't sounded rude- but he knew of no other way to initiate a conversation. He'd never found himself under such circumstances, mostly just because he avoided talking to human beings, which apparently did him no favours at the moment.

Just as he started to lose all hope of establishing a proper conversation with the lad, he turned around and smiled at him. Maybe it wasn't much, but at least the stranger had acknowledged him. He in no way felt victorious, as the stranger hadn't spoken with him yet- but it was better than nothing at all.

Blond hair, green eyes, and light skin were some of the stranger's features. He also had perfect, sparkling white teeth, and his outfit was nice. A red hoodie, ragged, blue jeans and red vans was what he was wearing. Nothing too fancy or extraordinary; in fact, it seemed to him that such outfit seemed rather comfortable.

He fiddled with his fingers and started humming along to 'The A Team' by Ed Sheeran as he waited for something to be said.

Unfortunately, never once did the stranger speak to him. Not even the slightest of sounds ever escaped his lips.

And after a few more attempts, he gave up at trying to get him to do so. Yet, as he didn't know the stranger's name, he chose to call him Luke.

Time flew by, as they both sat on the ledge of Texland Corporation's roof, in the middle of New York City. And when it was time to go, he bade Luke a good night, and he slowly walked away.

Still, no reply ever came.