Chapter 2

Being immortal and high queen can be a bit lonely. Marin Starfall did not have many friends. She was not completely friendless, she had some but she was still their queen and they had to do anything she asked. So, how much of a friendship was it, really?

She had been excited when she got a letter from the new queens of the eleven realm, inviting her and her husband to a royal ball.

They had spent a couple of days in their carriage, with occasional breaks, as they journeyed through the lands of Plommonia.

Now they are riding through the streets of the elven capital, their arrival to the castle should be soon.

Silvius, her husband, was sitting on the opposite side of her in the carriage, looking out the window as they travelled through Zradena. The sunlight cast a warm glow on his face and his vibrant orange hair.

The orange hair is something every free pep has, they resemble humans in many ways. But they have their differences: free peps are immortal and look one way and that's it. But humans look so different from each other, it's something Marin envies, to not look like everybody else to have these differences that make the other species unique.

Humans often only care about themselves or their close friends and family, Marin does not hold it against them, it's their nature. Free peps are naturally selfless and kind. It's in their nature, something they were born with. They're wired to help others and make them happy. So, even if some free peps aren't always pleasant to be around, they'd never harm or take from people in need.

The carriage came to a stop in front of the castle with the gardens behind them. Servants opened the carriage doors, Silvius went out first and extended his hand to help Marin out. She took it and stepped out. The castle was not a traditional castle, it was not made of stone but instead was in a giant tree stump, with a few stone towers here and there.

The legends say the elves pledged their loyalty to the forest, and in return, the forest offered its protection: it gave them a tree as big as a mountain large enough to hold thousands upon thousands of elves.

But nobody knows if this legend is true and if it is what happened to the tree to only have the foundation: the tree stump back.

Marin and Silvius walked arm in arm through the wooden doors leading into the tree, while their servants carried their luggage behind them. The carriage master making his way to the stables.

Marin and Silvius were greeted with an enormous room with two grand staircases leading up to the throne room. A statue of Naevys Loradove stood between the staircases, and the room was adorned with plants both on the floor and suspended from the ceiling.

Marin has been there before, she and Silvius would usually come and greet when a new king or queen rose.

The two newly-crowned queens Edea and Vivian stand in front of the statue. Their gowns shimmered with forest colours, adorned with leaves, flowers, and embroidery.

Marin has already met Vivian. When she was nothing more than a child. Vivian comes from the royal family. She has grown into a beautiful woman, with dark skin and gorgeous curly hair.

Edea was beautiful too. Instead of dark skin and curly hair like her wife, she was lighter but her straight hair was as dark as the night sky if all the stars had disappeared. It was long and undeniably beautiful.

Marin and Silvius came to a stop, and the two elven queens gracefully approached.

"Your Highness," Queen Vivian greeted them. Along with Queen Edea, they offered a respectful bow of their heads.