Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

“Bloody hell, Andi! You scared me!”

“W-what?” I ask while anxiously trying to cover my body. I bend my knees and hug them as I begin to shiver in cold. “W-why didn’t you knock?” I shout hoarsely. My face can’t get any redder than this. Oh, dear. I can now write something on the most embarrassing moment portion in my slumbook.

“I’ve been knocking for the last thirty minutes.” Gabriel grabs a robe hanging behind the door. “You weren’t answering, but I can smell you through the door. I thought…”

My teeth chatter as I look up at him.

“Damn it.” He hands me the robe. “Can you stand?”

“Y-yes… D-don’t look!” I tell him nervously as I try to lift myself up. Gabriel sighs in frustration as he faces back while still holding the robe up for me. God, my hands and feet feel like they’re enclosed in blocks of ice. My trembles become more convulsive as the coldness seeps further under my skin. My extremities are almost numb now and I notice that I haven’t moved an inch.

I scream when Gabriel suddenly turns around, grunts at seeing my poor, shivering form and bends over to pull up the stopper from the drain. The chilly water slowly goes down and I hug my knees tighter as I sit naked and trembling in front of him.

“Andi…” He scolds. “Your embarrassment will kill you by freezing yourself to death if you won’t get in this robe immediately.”

I swallow hard while shaking violently.

“Christ.” He mutters and leans down. “Let me help you. Grab on to my arms and try to stand up. I’ll close my eyes. I promise.”

I see to it that his eyes are shut close before slowly reaching for his arms. Gabriel easily heaves me up. I try to stand but end up slouching and quivering when my knees refuse to straighten. I panic when he abruptly opens his eyes, but his gaze stays on my face as he helps my freezing arms inside the sleeves of the robe.

“You really are cold. Why did you sleep in the tub? You could’ve drowned.”

 “I-i was tired. I may have relaxed too much.”

I’m very well aware that the robe is still hanging open and inviting like a carnival tent. Heat slowly spreads all throughout my body and instantly dispels whatever chilliness I still feel. I glance up and find Gabriel staring at me. There’s that look again. A look that promises all the great things that I could ever imagine.

I sigh as I see his face slowly bending to reach me. I close my eyes and eagerly wait for his mouth to touch mine.

Then I feel him quickly closing my robe and tying the sash.

In a flash, I’m already lying on my bed. He moves around with inhuman speed. Within three heartbeats, I’m under three, thick blankets with him preparing hot tea at my bedside.

“Still cold?” He asks as he sits on the bed holding a cup. “Drink this.”

I already feel hot, thank you very much. My cheeks are still flaming because of total humiliation. What the hell was I thinking? I may have looked like an idiot closing my eyes and maybe puckering my lips a little assuming that he was going to kiss me. God, please kill me right now.

Nonetheless, Gabriel casually helps me up and I take a sip from the cup he offers. I don’t particularly like tea but its soothing warmth spreads down to my chest. I drink it all before settling back under the covers.

“Better?” He puts the cup back on the bedside table.

No. Because I thought you were going to--- “Y-yes. Thank you.” I pull the blankets under my chin. “What were you thinking when you found out I was locked up in the bathroom?”