Family Day - aftermath | Kai & Nya

The next day after their family outing, Nya found herself standing outside Kai's door. She hesitated for a moment before knocking. Kai's warm invitation to come in led her into his room, where she found him sitting on his bed, engrossed in his phone.

"Hey," she greeted quietly, a hint of apprehension in her voice.

Kai looked up from his phone and noticed that something was bothering his sister. "What's wrong?"

Nya avoided looking directly at her brother, her fingers fiddling with the edge of her shirt. She knew the topic she wanted to discuss was sensitive, given the sacrifices Kai had made during their childhood. "I've been thinking, and I know it's not easy to talk about, but I want to know more about what you went through back then."

Kai's expression softened as he realized the seriousness of her request. He nodded and patted the space next to him on the bed. "Sure. Come, sit down. I'll tell you. What do you want to know?"

Nya sat down on the bed next to her brother, her eyes filled with curiosity and a touch of apprehension. "How was I doing back then?"

Kai sighed deeply, his gaze distant as he recalled those early days, the memories etched in his mind. "You were incredibly clingy. I can't emphasize enough how much you needed me to be close. It was like you couldn't bear to let me out of your sight. You'd cling onto my hand, my clothes, and you wouldn't let go. You'd follow me into the blacksmith's shop, not letting me work because you needed my touch to stay calm."

As Kai continued, his voice trembled slightly, carrying the weight of those challenging memories. "And if I ever had to leave your side, you'd cry. Your sobs would turn into screams, and eventually, you'd lose control. I'd find you in the middle of the wreckage, breaking things in frustration because you couldn't understand why I couldn't stay close."

Nya's expression shifted from curiosity to a mix of surprise and sadness as she heard about her past behavior as a toddler. She had no memory of those early years, and the details Kai shared weighed heavily on her heart.

Kai's voice trembled slightly as he continued, "Nya, it was incredibly hard for me. I was just a kid myself, trying to support us, and I couldn't say no to your need for comfort and security. It was a constant challenge, trying to balance taking care of you and making ends meet."

Nya's eyes widened with shock as she listened to Kai's detailed account of their past. She realized how hard it must have been for him to bear the responsibility of comforting and calming her as a young child.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she heard the full extent of the challenges Kai faced because of her behavior. It was heartbreaking to imagine how difficult those times must have been for her brother.

Feeling a mix of emotions, Nya was pulled gently by Kai, her head coming to rest on his shoulder. His voice held a combination of warmth and sadness as he spoke. "It was tough, Nya. But it was also kind of cute how much you needed my touch. You were just a little kid, and it was a challenging situation for both of us."

Nya's voice trembled with sincerity as she spoke. "I'm so sorry, Kai. I didn't realize how much you went through. I wish I could have made it easier for you."

Kai's embrace tightened slightly, offering her comfort. "You have nothing to apologize for. You were only three years old, and you couldn't have done anything differently."

Nya lifted her head from his shoulder, her eyes still glistening with tears. She met his gaze and softly spoke, "But you were only a child yourself. You shouldn't have had to sacrifice so much for me."

Kai held her gaze, his expression filled with a mix of sadness and determination. "I chose to do it. I wanted to take care of you. We're a team, and I couldn't bear to see you upset. It was a difficult situation."

Nya nodded, understanding the depth of her brother's commitment and love. She couldn't help but feel a deep sense of gratitude for all that he had done for her.

After a moment of silence, Nya's head remained resting on Kai's shoulder. Her voice, when she finally spoke, was soft and carried the vulnerability of a small child. "Kai... I'm not sure about Mom and Dad being back and wanting to be in our lives. I mean, I don't really remember them."

Kai listened to her words, understanding the complexity of her feelings. He continued to provide the support and comfort she needed, his arm around her as they shared this heart-to-heart conversation. "It's okay to feel that way. We'll figure things out. We don't have to rush into anything."

Nya shifted slightly, her head still nestled on Kai's shoulder, and she asked hesitantly, "do you feel the same way? I mean, you have memories of them, right?"

Kai was cautious in his response, recognizing the differences in their experiences and perspectives. He gently replied, "yes I have memories of them, and I know what parents are like. It's a bit different for me. I want to give them a chance, but I understand it's harder for you."

He squeezed her gently, conveying his understanding and support for her feelings. Nya appreciated his consideration and nodded, grateful for her brother's empathy and guidance.

After a short moment, Kai spoke softly, "You know, it does feel a bit weird for me too. After all these years, I'm not a child anymore. I'm nineteen now, and a lot has changed. But I want to see if we can make it work and build a relationship with them. I'll be here for you, every step of the way."

Nya nodded in understanding, appreciating her brother's honesty and commitment. She looked up at her brother, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Thanks."

Kai smiled warmly and brushed a strand of hair away from her face. "Any time."

Nya wrapped her arms around Kai in a final hug, feeling a lot better now. With the reassurance and support of her older brother, she left his room with a sense of hope, knowing that he held her back...