❅perfect❅

Dan slowly trudged from class to class, waiting and waiting for the final bell to ring. He couldn't go anywhere in school without being afraid.

It usually happened before school or during lunch- he would be heading to the bathroom or be putting things away in his locker, when Phil would catch him, and beat him up. Phil Lester was a popular jock who and whose friends enjoyed watching Dan cry out in pain from a punch to the face, or a kick to the gut. And he hated Phil with all his heart.

On this particular Monday morning, however, Dan was done. He was sick of putting up with Phil's shit, and sick of being in pain all the time. It was hard enough dealing with his annoying brothers at home, but now he had to live in fear of school, of being hurt, and being weakened. Phil made him feel weak. So weak, that sometimes he couldn't take it anymore, couldn't take anything anymore, and he would skip school to wallow in his own misery. But on this Monday morning Dan walked into school with his head held high. He was done.

Dan walked to his locker to put away his backpack. When he'd finally spun the correct dial and opened it, the locker door suddenly slammed shut on his right hand. "OW!!!" He screamed in pain, turning to the person who kicked his locker. Phil. He should've known.

"I AM SO SICK OF YOUR SHIT, PHIL! DO YOU LIKE TO SEE ME IN PAIN? DO YOU LIKE KNOWING THAT EVERYDAY YOU CAUSE MY LIFE TO BE A LIVING HELL? WELL YOU ARE A SICK HUMAN BEING.
WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WAKES UP EVERYDAY, HAPPY TO GO TO SCHOOL AND PUT SOMEONE ELSE IN PAIN JUST FOR THEIR OWN SATISFACTION? YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE HERE. IM DONE WITH YOU."

Dan grabbed his bag, his hand hurting too much to reopen his locker and put it away. And, anyway, after his little monologue it would be awkward to stay there and open his locker again with Phil standing there, so instead he stomped off, away from Phil, who stood in awe with his mouth hanging open. Phil had no idea how much he'd hurt Dan.

Sure, Phil knew he caused Dan pain everyday, beating him up. But, it wasn't really his fault, right? His friends pressured him. And he lived in fear everyday, too, but he was the opposite of Dan. He savored days at school but dreaded going home.

Everyday he walked home, awaiting the pain his father would give him. He dreaded his home and his father. Phil's dad beat him for his own satisfaction, which was much worse than what he did to Dan, right? Phil had scars all over his chest and back from the bruises his dad made punching and kicking him repediatly, every day after school. Suddenly, his head snapped up. He was just as bad as his dad.

What had he been doing? Hurting someone else for his own pleasure, like his dad did to him. Causing someone else to dread each day, like his dad did to him. He hated himself. Phil rubbed his face with his hands. What kind of sick human being was he? Dan was right. He didn't deserve to be here.

Phil ran to the bathroom, gripping either side of the sink and looking at himself in the mirror. With his leather jacket and black skinnies, he looked tougher than he was. He ripped off the jacket and his black shirt, forcing himself to look at his scars. The same ones Dan probably had, because of him. All his fault. He was a monster.

He glared at himself, his eyes brimming with tears. He needed to get home before he had a breakdown. Phil grabbed his stuff and threw on his jacket, running out the bathroom and out of the school with his head down. At the time he didn't care about his grades. But, he forgot that his dad was on a break from work, and was at home. Waiting for him.

***

Dan had a great week at school. Phil wasn't there for the next four days, so Dan didn't have to be scared at all. Maybe he'd scared Phil off? Dan was happy. Even though there was a small voice in the back of his head telling him to be worried, which didn't make any since, since he hated Phil. Maybe he was a little too hard on him? No, Phil deserved it- right?