i. weakling king

BURN THE KINGDOM

⎯BURN THE KINGDOM

※※※

When Viserys of House Targaryen, eldest son of Prince Baelon and the late Princess Alyssa of House Targaryen had reached his ten and sixth name day, he was wed to his cousin, Aemma Arryn, daughter of Lord Rodrik Arryn and Princess Daella Targaryen, however Aemma had only been ten and one at the time of their marriage and thus the King, Jaehaerys first of his name, made sure it would not yet be consummated until Aemma was of age, fourteen would do, the King had said.

Viserys however, did not take kindly to it, and this on his wedding night visited the Street of Silk as he ventured around until he found a woman to his liking. He kept visiting the same woman until she disappeared, and nine moons later a basket with a silver haired babe showed up at the Keep. The Good Queen Alysanne had berated Viserys for dishonouring his wife, no matter the age she had been, and Baelon had done the same, as both decided Viserys would take care of the babe.

The babe, Alysanne hated to agree, reminded people of the late Queen Visenya, with the same mystery in her royal purple eyes, she had named the child Nelaera. Nelaera grew up in the care of the Good Queen and her grandfather Baelon, as it soon became clear she had a remarkable touch for blood magic, as she found books of it on Dragonstone left behind by Visenya, Maegor and one of his many wives.

Nelaera's closest bond had been to her Uncle, Daemon, who had been only twelve years her senior and both thrived as dragonriders, with a passion and love for Old Valyria. Baelon let it, he had seen their bond believing it to be as strong as his own was to his late wife, Alyssa. Daemon had bonded with Caraxes, the mount of his late Uncle Aemon, as Nelaera flew the black beast who hatched from a clutch soon after Balerion's death. She had named the black beast, Blackfyre, for House Targaryen's ancestral sword. The sword was currently in possession by King Jaehaerys, who would gift it upon his death to Viserys as was tradition in House Targaryen, it's ruling monarch would wield Blackfyre and Dark Sister was often gifted to the best warrior they hold.

Nelaera and Daemon, and their believe Old Valyria—and by extension House Targaryen—reigned supreme over all the others, were planned to one day be wed, as Baelon has seen their bond as well. But when Viserys finally consummated his marriage to the Lady Aemma, and she lost their first child during a miscarriage and soon, when Nelaera was four name days old, her daughter Rhaenyra followed, Viserys pushed Nelaera further away, to the disagreement of Prince Baelon and Queen Alysanne. When Nelaera was six years old, her Grandsire Baelon became Hand of the King, and wished to announce Nelaera to be legitimate after it was agreed with King Jaehaerys when he too recognised the blood of the dragon in her veins.

However, soon after Prince Baelon fell bedridden, with Maesters by his side, as well as his son, Daemon and granddaughter Nelaera who had tried to use blood magic to heal her grandsire, but her skills were not yet to par, and five days of illness followed before Baelon joined his wife and son, Aegon, in the afterlife. Nelaera had stood with her great-grandmother, Alysanne as Jaehaerys let Vermithor lit Baelon's funeral pyre. From grief, Alysanne flew Silverwing, and Nelaera to Dragonstone as Jaehaerys gifted Daemon—who had been knighted years before—with Dark Sister, proving himself to be a well-deserved warrior. However, with the death of his Heir, Jaehaerys held no more sons, and only grandchildren. This included Rhaenys, Aemon—the first Heir—'s daughter as she had a son and daughter of her own with Corlys Velaryon, Lord of Driftmark. Alysanne had begged her husband to choose Aemon's Heir, as Aemon would have done the same, and she had asked it from him when Aemon first passed away years before, but Jaehaerys refused.