Chapter six

She twirled in front of her full body length mirror, staring at the outfit she had spent nearly an hour picking out. It was a white, long sleeved cotton crop top sweater and a flay, black skirt that danced around her knees. The shoes she had finally settled on were white nearly knee length boots she had never had an occasion to wear. Her hair was in a large afro that she pushed away from her eyes and fell sideways and backwards.

She had on eye liner and lipgloss and carried a small black purse. It was her first time going on a date. She wanted it to be as perfect as it could get.

Sparing one last glance at the mirror, she stepped out of her apartment, hurrying to the sidewalk. She found her date waiting right there, looking as dashing as always.

Despite what she thought, Blaze liked to put on makeup sometimes and tonight was one of those times. Lined eyes, reddened lips and filled eyebrows. It made her looking even more stunning that usual. She wore big black knee length shorts with black and white sneakers. A sleeveless knitted top fell against her body and her hands were covered in bangles and rings. She smiled when she saw Armani standing before her, looking as gorgeous as always. She enunciated the thought, taking her hand and kissing her knuckles softly.

They'd gotten on the bike and raced away. Armani wasn't sure where the date would hold. Blaze wouldn't tell her, no matter how much she asked.

The way to the place was beautiful. Littered with streetlights and covered by the dark night sky, the wind passed over her, filling her with a rising sensation. It was blissful.

Thirty minutes later, they were slowing down at the entrance of an abandoned, old park. The metal fences were bent and rusted and only a few streetlights were on.

"Where are we?" Armani asked as she slid off the bike. Blaze parked it to the side, taking Armani's helmet and hers and fastening them to the bike.

"My favourite spot," Blaze said, grabbing her hand and walking forward. Armani felt the butterflies in her stomach again when their fingers touched. It was a feeling that refused to die down.

Blaze led her into a large clearing of soft carpet grass where their feet sunk into the soil. It lifted off to a cliff with a view of the city beneath them. Railings rounded up the edges, keeping them a safe distance away from their death. A blanket was spread on the floor with a basket propped on it.

It was a picnic date.

"Sorry," she said with a sheepish smile as they sat. "I didn't know where to take you and you look too beautiful for a regular restaurant."

"No, it's fine," Armani butted in. She looked down on her skirt and boots. "I may have overdressed too."

Blaze took her hand and looked her carefully in the eye. "You look good in everything. There's no way you can ever be underdressed."

Armani felt the heat rise to her face. It was a common occurrence with Blaze and she was starting to get used to it. She reached for the basket and opened it, pulling out a bottle of wine and two glasses. "Red wine?" She asked, propping the glasses on the blanket next to her.

"Yup," Blaze said. She reached into the basket and pulled out two plates and a square pizza box.

Armani stared at her. "Pizza?"

Blaze blushed. "I'm horrible at cooking."

Armani giggled.

They sat back and held their filled glasses of wine. Blaze was telling her about how she met Ripley and where she grew up. She was half Australian and grew up in Brooklyn before moving here. Her parents were rich deadbeats who still had no idea what she did in school. It was a cycle for her. Fight with them, run off to cool off and only come back when her parents needed her to play the perfect daughter for the cameras. Her mother was an actress and her father was a artist. They expected her to join the industry but she wanted to be an art curator. Her parents called it childish folly. She didn't mind. As long as they stayed out of her way, she would play perfect family with them.

Armani too opened up about her family. Growing in the orphanage and getting adopted at 11. The bullying, the growth spurt, the learning. She felt like she could tell Blaze anything and she would listen with that calm smile of hers and never judge her or tell her what she would have done instead in bad situations. It was like a breath of fresh air after being locked up for years.

Three hours had passed with them sitting there, eating pizza, drinking wine and talking about everything and anything, absorbing the essence of who they were, what they loved, what they wanted to be, all that they were.

"You like horror movies?" Blaze asked, lying on the blanket with her elbows propping her up and staring at her.

"Yeah, is that weird?"

"No, just cool. I don't like horror movies. It looks really fake to me."

"Some of them are really fun. Like that Eternal Destination."

"Would you consider it horror?"

"It's more of gore but good enough."

Blaze sat up, moving closer to Armani. Her hand moved to her jaw, pulling her closer. They sat still, listening to each others breathing, eyes holding.

"Can I kiss you?" She asked, staring at her lips. Armani froze, hearing her heart thumping loudly and feeling the sweat fill her palms. She nodded softly.

Her lips covered hers in a heartbeat, tangling and meshing her thoughts and her tongue. Her hands gripped her waist, burying herself into Blaze's scent. It was electrifying, the nips and the tugs and the biting. Blaze's mouth moved to her neck and continued, earning a moan from her.

Armani pushed her away when she heard her voice, shaky and breathy, not ready for what would come after.

Blaze watched her, her eyes burning in desire. "Do you want me to take you home?" She asked, her hand settling on her thigh. "I could drop you off if you want."

Armani sat quietly, barely hearing the crickets in the background. Her head went up and down in a short nod.