Chapter 36

'Sometimes even the smallest doubt can shake the greatest belief'

Obi-Wan and I strode side by side into the bustling Republic ship hangar. As we entered, the figures of Anakin, Ahsoka, and Caleb awaited our arrival, their presence palpable but unacknowledged. Without making eye contact with them, Obi-Wan's voice cut through the tension, firm and resolute, "Alert the council immediately," he ordered, and we made our way towards the main control room. I couldn't bear to meet Anakin's gaze, for I feared it might shatter my heart all over again.

In the heart of the control room, the holographic images of the Jedi Council materialized before us. Anakin loomed nearby, his presence a heavy shadow, yet I dared not meet his gaze. My focus remained locked on the floor, where the cold metal underfoot seemed a more welcoming sight than the turmoil within.

"Master Kenobi, Jedi Ken," Yoda's wise voice acknowledged our arrival, his ageless eyes peering through the shimmering hologram. "Dark forces around you, I feel. Went to Mandalore, you did," he spoke, and a shiver ran down my spine. I closed my eyes briefly, as if to shut out the painful memories that surged forth.

"Duchess Satine is dead," Obi-Wan's voice wavered as he uttered the devastating news, his pain thinly veiled. Gasps and murmurs rippled through the room, but the commotion barely registered in my ears. The galaxy's affairs felt trivial against the profound grief I carried.

"By whose hand?" Master Windu inquired, and finally, I lifted my head, meeting his stern gaze.

"By Darth Maul," I confessed, my voice almost a whisper. When my eyes found Anakin's, they were brimming with sorrow, and I felt his gaze pierce through my defenses. A silent exchange of anguish passed between us, before I turned away, unable to bear the weight of our shared heartache.

"Terrible news this is," Yoda lamented, his ears drooping in empathy. "Sorry to both of you, I am. Strong we must remain in times like this, look out for each other." The small, green Jedi Master's words offered a glimmer of solace in the sea of despair.

"Speak on this we will, in vain her death will not be. Her spirit now in the Force, use it, you will," Master Yoda added, his solemn tone punctuating the gravity of our duty.

As the hologram flickered and dissipated, the room fell into an uneasy silence. I swallowed hard, trying to contain the turbulent emotions that threatened to engulf me. Without uttering another word, I turned and walked away, seeking solitude to grapple with the emotional storm within, leaving the control room behind in the aftermath of heartache and tragedy.

Once I reached my chambers, exhaustion overcame me, and I crumpled onto my bed. I lay on my back, my gaze fixed on the ceiling, lost in my thoughts for a fleeting moment. It was then that Anakin entered the room, his presence like a quiet reassurance.

I shifted, making room for him, silently inviting him to join me. Without a word, he responded, his arms enfolding me in a warm and tender embrace as he lay down beside me, providing solace in the midst of our shared grief.

Tears flowed freely, and I couldn't contain the pain any longer. As the sobs racked my body, Anakin's presence was my anchor in this storm of sorrow. I wept into his embrace, my heartache finding solace in his unwavering support.

He whispered words of love and reassurance, his voice a soothing balm to my wounded soul. "I love you, and I will never, ever leave you," he vowed, his words like a sacred prayer.

"I'm here, always," he murmured, his fingers gently brushing away the tears from my cheeks. "We'll face whatever challenges come our way, together."

I clung to him, my voice choked with emotion as I whispered, "Anakin, it's so hard. The loss, the weight of the war... I fear for you, for us."