Chapter 1

[Kelsey's POV]

"Family meeting!" My older brother, Theo shouted as he jogged into the kitchen

I rolled my eyes. Me and Theo hadn't gotten along for around 2 years or so now, ever since I came out as gay. He avoided me or made comments about it to our parents every opportunity he got. Not to mention, he had outed me to them, which backfired for him as they were supportive and the most loving parents that they could be.

I took a bite of my cinnamon sugar waffle, as I looked over at my mom, who was giving me a Here we go again look.

"My girlfriend is coming over for dinner later" He started, looking at us all before talking again, "Which means everything has to go fine. And you" He said directly looking at me, "No gay talk, she might get scared off" 

I look down at my waffles, muttering, "Roger that" as I continued to eat in silence

My parents had always tried to stop him saying things like that, but the more they tried, the more he did it. He just wouldn't, more like couldn't, stop. They eventually gave up and so did I, "Okay, I've got to go" I said standing up and grabbing my bag

"Bye mom, bye dad" I shouted as I shut the door

I put the straps of my bag over my shoulder and swing my leg over my bike, pushing off the ground to start. I worked in a bookshop, not that far from my house. It was a great shop, small but not too small. If I'm being honest, I loved working there. The owner, Minnie, a nice older lady who had become like a second mother to me, gave me good shifts and I got payed reasonably well. As I cycled down the road I spotted it. I slowed down and hopped off my bike, walking it around the back and locking it up. As I pushed open the doors, the bell jingled above my head.

"Kelsey!" Minnie exclaimed, smiling brightly

I walked over to her and hugged her, "Hi Minnie" I smiled

"I hope you don't mind, I'm going to get coffee with my husband today, it's our anniversary" She said, patting my shoulder, "You'll have to run the shop on your own today my love"

I smiled, Minnie and her husband had been together for about 55 years, I looked up to them. I wanted that kind of love, "Of course, Minnie, have a good time!" I replied, grabbing a box of newly stocked books that needed to be shelved

I watched as Minnie walked out, her husband's car pulling up just as she did. Before she could open the door, he came rushing out, flowers in hand. He handed her the flowers before opening the door for her. I waved through the window at there husband, who gave me a warm smile and waved back.

I spent the first half of my shift shelving out new stock. After I finished that, I sat behind the counter, picking up a book of my own. I loved reading, it was like an escape from reality. I could read for hours and hours and never get bored.

"Erm excuse me?" I heard a soft voice say from the other side of the counter

I looked up from my book, meeting the eyes of a girl. She didn't look much older than me, maybe even my age. Her hair was brown and tied up into a loose bun. Her chocolate brown eyes, sparkling in the light. She wore a light blue sweater, and a pair of loose jeans. My gay panic stopped as I realized I had forgotten to reply to her.

"Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't see you" I said, smiling softly at the girl in front of me, gesturing to the book I'm holding

She laughed, it sounded angelic, "No worries, a good book is hard to not loose yourself in" She replied

"Agreed, what can I help you with?" I asked, standing up

She was slightly shorter than me, meaning I had to look down slightly to make eye contact, "I pre ordered a book, it should have arrived today I think" She said tapping her fingers on the counter quietly