Fearful Child

The beam of blinding white light slammed into Jim, knocking him off his feet. He crashed to the ground and disappeared from view behind a rather large rock formation. Spock felt his unacknowledged T'hy'la bond twinge and dashed over to him. He got there just as Jim stood to his feet.

Only it was not his Jim. The man he knew and secretly loved was gone. Instead, a small blonde boy stood there, practically swimming in Jim's command gold uniform shirt. His sky blue eyes looked up at Spock, confusion evident. He was maybe 4.

It was Jim. Spock knew it as he knew himself. He would know his T'hy'la anywhere. The eyes were the same shape and color. The hair was the same golden hue. The facial structure was the same, only younger. The jawline and cheekbones were more masked by baby fat. But it was still him. Spock's chest filled with horror. How had this happened?!

"Where am I?" Young Jim asked in a small, halting voice, glancing around himself frantically. He scrunched down in an attempt to make himself smaller. "Did momma send me away again?"

Another beam of the same white light shot past them barely missing Spock. Spock quickly gathered the small boy into his arms and darted away. This was obviously not a safe place for a child.

Once he was sure they were out of range of the weapon? Or whatever that thing was, Spock called for beam out. The rest of the away team would have to handle the problem on their own. Spock needed to get the young captain out of there and to safety immediately. For while adult Jim had signed up to risk life and limb on this misson, this child had done no such thing, nor could he, and must be kept out of harms way.

The request was immediately granted, and they materialized on board Enterprise, young Jim desperately clutching Spocks neck. He looked around the transporter room with wide eyes.

"I really messed up this time, didn't I?" He whispered solemnly, then in a tiny voice whimpered, "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to cause problems again."

Spocks blood ran cold at hearing his beloveds younger self's words. He didn't want to consider what would cause a child to talk like this.

The doors slid open, and Dr, McCoy stormed in, ranting. "What damn fool thing did you do now, Jim?! I swear to -"

The child in Spocks arms physically flinched away. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" He cried out, tears filling his eyes and spilling down his cheeks. "I promise I'll be good! I promise! I'm sorry!"

McCoy stopped short, horrified. "Jim?" He asked, looking at the small boy. Spock nodded.

"Hey. Hey.. You're ok.... No one's mad at you." McCoy held his hands up placatingly. "I'm mad at our ship's captain. He likes to do dumb things. His name is Jim. Not at you. Is your name Jim too?"

Jim nodded haltingly. "I'm not in trouble?"

"No, kid. Not even a little bit." McCoy reassured him.

Jim slowly uncurled himself from Spock. Though from his hesitant expression, it was obvious that he was not doing it because he wanted to, but rather cause he felt it was expected of him.

McCoy sighed inwardly. This was not going to be easy. "Hey, kiddo." He said gently. "Why don't you and Mr. Spock here come along with me, and we'll get some ice cream? Does that sound fun?"

Jim shrugged his shoulders noncommittally, keeping his eyes downcast.

McCoy found this lack of a response concerning. However, he knew better than to make a big deal out of it. It wouldn't the kid feel more safe or trusting. It would only make him feel more afraid. So he just led the way to sick bay, making sure to swing by the mess hall on the way to grab some ice cream for Jim.