Chapter 1: A New Low

(Warning for: Former abusive relationship (only mentioned), swearing, and slight adult content.)
(Disclaimer: Please be safe on the Internet. Romance stories are for entertainment purposes, not for dating advice.)

     Hi There! My name's Patton and boy, do I love me some chit chat! Send me a message after the beep! *Beep*

     Patton sighed at his own writing. Wearing an expression of dread, he deleted what he ad typed. "Don't fret Pat... Let's try that again." He murmured to himself. The soft digital clicking of his phone's keyboard was the only sound he could hear. Logan was out with Remus tonight. They were watching a new sci-fi movie that came out. Patton was alone, and it was... unsettling. Being alone was rare for him. He always tried to be around people. Usually he'd go to a park or something, but... That would be too hard on him at the moment, given the emotions this day brought up.

     Hi there! I'm Patton Foster, coming to you from a small town in Florida! I'm a happy camper looking for new pals and whatever else this wonderful world has to happen! Feel free to click those heart buttons and get in touch. I look forward to meeting everyone!

     "Yeah, that's better." Patton murmured.
     Usually he'd get Roman to look over something like this, but... Then Roman would just suggest setting him up with someone again instead, and... Patton certainly wasn't ready for that. This was safer. If things went bad he'd just delete the app and go about his life. He just... Couldn't be face to face with anyone right now, and didn't want to be alone.

     "Let's see... Name; Patton Foster. Birthday; January 15th, 1990. Age; 33. Works at; Sanders Elementary School. Interested In; Everyone! Looking for: Friends. Three fun facts; I love animals, I want to be a Dad someday, and I am always willing to lend a helping hand." Patton whispered to himself. It was nice, hearing his own voice along with the tapping. It helped distract him from the lonely silence. Speaking of, once he was done making his profile, he decided to turn on the television. He played a show he had already watched about a thousand times now, and left it on as background noise.

     After that, Patton laid back down into his soft grey sheets. He hugged his fluffy blue comforter closely for comfort, and breathed deeply while picking up his phone. Patton chewed on the string of his grey cat hoodie as he opened the app. He watched a swirl of pink settle into a misshapen oval, and magenta letters slowly appear. Profile it said. Patton smiled, thinking that the apps design was adorable. Pastel gradients made up the backgrounds, and the site was organized with navy blue details and magenta icons. Patton slid his thumb gently over the screen, and began scrolling through other people's profiles.

     He found a few interesting ones. A plus sized therapist named Emile that shared Patton's love of cartoons, a short trans man named Talon that reminded Patton of Virgil, and a woman named Valerie that seemed very sweet. Patton sent a heart to each of these people, letting them know he was interested in matching with them.

     About an hour passed, and the tears were finally dried from Patton's face. The app was a decent distraction. He was learning about all sorts of people in their town and surrounding area! To Patton's surprise, a few people sent him hearts as well. Two of them, a young man and older woman, had quite sexual profiles. They were looking for a hookup, so Patton denied their request for a match. One of them turned out to be Virgil, which caused Patton to drop his phone.

     "Oh no..." Patton whined as he leaned down to pick it up. His lips frowned and brows furrowed while he reached for his phone. "Why would Virgil be on here?" He then wondered, knowing Virgil was currently dating Roman.

     Patton accepted the match, and it wasn't long before Virgil began typing.

     Virgil: What the hell are you doing on here!?
     Patton: Hey, calm down kiddo.
     Patton: Actually, I was about to ask the same thing.
     Virgil: Huh?
     Patton: In a nicer way of course.
     Patton: You're dating Roman, so it's weird to find you on here.
     Virgil: I just use this account now and then to play pranks on creeps.
     Virgil: Does Logan know you're on here?
     Patton: No... and please don't tell him! I'll be safe, promise. I just wanted to meet some knew people is all.
     Virgil: ...
     Patton: Also don't tell Roman, you know how he is...
     Virgil: Yeah...
     Virgil: Right.
     Virgil: Anyways,
     Virgil: Can I ask you a question?
     Patton: Of course! Anything!
     Virgil: Is this because of Guys and Dolls?