Chapter One: The Lost

Kaleb knew he had a crappy job. One even worse than his brothers. He'd rather never speak of what he does. Get in and get it done with. No emotions or feelings, hope you convince yourself to unsee it. Today just happen to one of those shitty days.

"Hello." Kaleb says quietly as he walks up to the crying child. The boy was young, no more than five, the teen thought. Brown hair with blue eyes rimmed in red.

The boy was unsure if he should talk to the teenager as he looked upon the older male. Chewing on the sleeve of his pajama shirt. Kaleb sighed as he knelt down in front of the kid. Slowly reaching out and pulling the shirt from the boy's teeth. Kaleb gave a comforting smile as he looked straight into the blue eyes before him. Hoping his true eye color wasn't showing.

"Do you want to go to a happy place?" The teen asked excitedly to the little one. "It's full of magic and creatures' unseen. You can play to your heart's desire."

That got the child's attention now. "Really?"

"Yes!" Kaleb yelped in mock joy. "It's got ice cream and pizza. Did I mention dragons and dinosaurs?"

The boy jumped up and down clapping, "Dinosaurs! Dinosaurs!"

"So, do you want to go, kid?" Kaleb asked once more. Hoping that the child agreed, it'll make the process of it all a lot much smoother.

With barely concealed joy his charge smiled, a wide grin on his young face. But it had only lasted for a moment, for he had looked back to the scene before him. Frowning once more, eyes too sad for someone so young. "What about mommy and daddy?"

Kaleb mentally cursed, children were sure, easier, but they are unfortunately distracted easily. "My brother Mason will be fetching them for us. Should being coming along soon. I'm sure they'll meet you there, kid."

"Can I go to them?" The young one asked, eyes finding the teens once more. The said male smiled widely and nodded. "All you got to do, is say yes."

Blue eyes lighting up once more, the young male shook his head up and down. "Yes, please."

"Great! Okay munchkin close your eyes for me please and sing your favorite song alright. Loudly." Kaleb instructs the boy. Watching as eyelids covered the color blue and the child begins an old nursery rhyme. Kaleb crouched a bit lower as a light appeared in his hand. A scythe now heavy in his hand. Looking down, behind the kid to confirm the body belonged to the soul in front of him, a quick double check. A deep breath in. A single swipe was all that was needed for the soul to burst into light as the kid finished his song. The child no longer amongst the living chaos around them.

Rolling his shoulders and shaking his hand the weapon disappeared from his grip. Vanishing into the night. Slowly bringing himself to stand the teenager sighed lowly, it never gets easier. No matter how long he does this. It's been two and a half centuries and yet he'll never be used to the feeling. He really did draw the short end for being born last.

Facing the red and blue lights; flashing in the night Kaleb watched as flames collapsed the house. The four walls falling in on itself, a total lost. It had taken the lives that lived in it as well. Tilting his head he watched at the firemen, as they're called nowadays, rush around. Completely oblivious to the teenager watching it all unfold. Hands in the pockets of his jacket, Kaleb looked around for Mason. His brother. The young-looking adult that had come with him.

"Looking for me?" A voiced called out of the fire lit darkness.

Flipping around the young male sighed at the sight of Mason. The blonde was walking his way his scythe still in his hands. Red met red as Kaleb rolled his eyes. "Put that away Mas. Jobs over, three souls reaped."