prologue

Portals opened up in the sky and monsters flew through. I swear I could feel my heart beating through my ears. All around was pure chaos, like it was the end of the world.

Students ran around screaming, some begging for help as they got swarmed by zombies or crushed by giant beasts. The air smelt like death and the clouds rolled over heavily, blocking out all the sun. And in the centre of all this, I stood, head held high and a horror filled expression plastered on my face.

I watched as a school bus was picked up by a clawed creature. It shook the vehicle, sending children flying out.

A moaning was heard behind me, and I turned around in fright. One of my zombified classmates tried to reach for my shoulder, probably to bite me, but I swerved to the side and kicked them. I bit my lip. I knew all these people. Well, used to.

I watched as one of the kids I used to walk past in the hallways get chewed up by four zombies. I could hear the pain and agony in his voice as the zombies tore his stomach open. It made bile rise to my throat and I stumbled back, horrified by what I had witnessed.

I had to get to safety, I had to run. Run. Run. Run. It wasn't safe here.

My house wasn't far from here and I could probably make it there by foot fast enough. I began to run, pushing past all the tattered bits and pieces of human remains, moving past all the debris and running past all that was once a normal life.

The ground beneath me shook. I looked back and holy fuck. Drops of spit flew everywhere as the huge monster roared, it's large feet crushing homes and buildings in it's path. I ducked behind an abandoned car, trying to calm my shaking hands. I heard screams coming from my right and tears brimmed in my eyes as I saw two little girls being crushed by a giant limb.

I ran, and ran, and ran. I turned the corner and spotted my house. A small smile made its way to my face. I swang the backyard gate open, but gasped in horror as I spotted my very undead dead aunt sitting on the porch. Her head snapped in my direction and an eerie smile crept into her face. She lunged at me. I screamed as my back hit the ground.

"Get the fuck off me!" I yelled at her, swerving her attempts of biting me.

She raised a hand. I pushed her head into the fence, the force creating a dent. She groaned angrily and bared her teeth. Her dirty, bloody, green zombie teeth. I kneed her in the stomach and used the space in between us to kick her off me. I picked up a large shard of the broken fence and swung it in her direction.

She cried out in outrage as the sharp end of the wood sliced her abdomen. I swing again and again and again. All that's left is her rotting corpse on the floor. I wish I could feel any remorse, just a small but of guilt.

However, I couldn't. She was dead even before I did anything and she never really was a great aunt.

I huff in exhaust and toss the battered piece of wood aside. As I opened the house door, I walked in slow and quiet. I wasn't quite sure if the zombified version of my uncle was here, and I hoped he wasn't.

After clearing the house and making sure there was no one or no thing inside, I blocked all exits and entrances. I boarded my aunt and uncles room shut, nailed the door to their study and opened the basement door.

I've prepared for this moment for my entire life. (No I have not, but I did watch a shit ton of zombie apocalypse movies and monster movies.)

Now, if you've watched a zombie apocalyptic movie, you should know what the first course of action is.

Step 1: Food.

I'm hungry as fuck not gonna lie.

I raided the kitchen, separating all the ingredients and all the dry foods. Next I went for the pantry. Even more food. All that in addition to my secret stash in the loose cieling tile in my room, I might just last a month. (If I eat responsibly.)

I brought all these to my room, locking the door behind me. I sat down on the bed and sighed heavily. No matter how many times I close my eyes and open them again, the horrible noises outside are still there. Everytime I close the curtain and open it again, the destruction is still there.

I just wanted this to be one of my fucked up dreams, that I'll probably wake up from sooner or later.

Please, just let this be a horrible dream.

APOCALYPTIC

"You can't just sit down and play video games, it's the end of the world!"

the image of the dead, dead ends in my mind

I know my friends and I would probably turn and run

SONG: little dark age, MGMT