New Beginning

Nika forced a smile as she watched the male members of the Beigoma Academy Beyclub - save for the more reserved ones - argue about the same topic they had debated yesterday. She was stuck being the referee as usual, and no one had invited her to battle with them. She was impossibly infuriated: how could she improve her blading skills if she couldn't even battle an actual person? Her fake smile slipped and she sighed wearily. She just wanted to leave. She quietly slipped away, alone in her thoughts. No one noticed her as she left.

She let her feet take her on a random path and she ended up on the beach. She sat down, enjoying the feel of sand tickling her skin and took her bey out. Kaiser Kerbeus Knuckle Unite, or more simply just Kaiser Kerbeus. A Balance type bey. A powerful type of bey, yet also the most difficult to master. With as little training as she had, her blading skills were near nothing.

"Hey, you!"

Startled, Nika sprang up and turned to face the voice behind her. It was Ilya Mao, the famous female blader who even gave the legendary Lui Shirosagi trouble in a beybattle.

"You're Aoi Valt's sister, aren't you? You probably already know who I am, Ilya Mao," Ilya continued.

Nika automatically pasted a smile on her face, despite the fact that oh, she was just going to be known as Valt's sister now

"Yes, I'm Aoi Nika. Did you need anything?" she spoke, rather formally.

Ilya studied her for a moment, before flopping down and patting the space next to her.

"You look like you have something weighing on your mind. C'mon, let it out."

And Nika did. Her words spewed out as quickly as her tears and she ranted about everything, from her anger at being cast aside, to her insecurities as a blader and even as a growing young woman, to her worries that girls were always going to be overshadowed by their male counterparts and therefore think of themselves as the lesser people. Ilya just sat there and listened, never once interrupting or arguing.

When Nika was done, the older female simply said, "You're right in thinking these things."

When the 14-year-old just stared up at her, she heaved a sigh and continued.

"And I also get why you're scared of telling anyone else. It's not trivial, though. No one can blame you for feeling this way, Nika, and if they do then they're just a pile of useless shit.

At the swear, Nika smiled slightly, and it was genuine. A start.

"I just want to get stronger. I want to be able to hold my own and be recognised as myself and I want to win." Even she was surprised at the sudden conviction in her voice.

"As you should. C'mon, if you're changing yourself into a whole new killer queen that wins every fight she takes part in, you should know what this means..."

"Hm?"

"Shopping time! A whole new wardrobe for a whole new person."

Nika sweatdropped. "Shopping first thing?"

"A girl has priorities." Ilya winked.

The ladies arrived at the Beigoma shopping mall 20 minutes later and headed into a clothing store.

"What are your colours?" Ilya questioned.

Nika skimmed her eyes over a black tank top. "Black, white, orange, and pink definitely, maybe also red and purple?"

"Ok," the nineteen-year-old murmured. She held up several tops and short shorts in each of those colours, and added leggings, thigh-high stockings and fishnet tights all in black with a raised eyebrow from Nika at the latter article of clothing.