Unwanted Encounter

Surprisingly, not much changed since Peter effectively moved in with Henry and Margaret. He still did chores to his neatest ability, and took charge with his education, even volunteering for odd jobs to make a little money. Infact, the biggest change was the complete lack of perfection. Not that things around here were awful, no, it's just that neither Henry nor Margaret expected Peter to be perfect at every given opportunity. Infact, they were starting to be like real siblings towards each other. Henry had of course improved greatly since their childhood, and even Margaret was starting to be like a big sister to Peter: Once, when Peter had accidentally cut his finger making lunch, Margaret was there to swoop in and provide him with first aid, and Henry was there to comfort him when he was afraid to see the wound bleed out. Sure it wasn't all that serious, but their concern made it feel all that more genuine, even if he blamed himself for not sharpening the knife so it didn't slip from his perfect grip.

Today, Henry had to run some shopping errands while Margaret was away catching up with Susan. Something he only recently realised was that his whole life he loved it when friends and family did things for him. It didn't have to be much, just little things, and since he's been leaning even more heavily towards it. Margaret always appreciated it, and she adopted the habit with him.

"Peter, do you mind reminding me about what's on this list here, for me?" Henry asked, holding a small piece of paper in his hand as he pushed the trolley. Peter, following close behind, nodded and took the list from him obediently, "I'll be real with you, I've got a bad habit of trying to buy things we don't need. So, if you remind me of what's on the list, it'll distract from trying to get say... A lifetime supply of old school Killer Boy Rats albums!"

Peter giggled, "Of course, Henry! I'll make sure we stick to the list."

"Thank you, worm." Henry replied, chuckling as he watched Peter roll his eyes at the resurface of that old nickname. Funnily enough, it didn't offend him as much as it used to. Both brothers walked up and down the aisles, searching for their goods. Peter was exceptionally good at keeping Henry on track, every time he exhibited interest of something that wasn't on the list, they quickly recalculated their route.

30 minutes into their errand, they were both nearly ready to check out! "Right, we just need one last thing!" Henry announced.

"But, Henry," Peter asked, confused, "We've got everything on the list. There is no last thing!"

"Maybe on the list there isn't, but I want you to get something for yourself, Peter."

Peter was shocked! Something for himself?! "But-"

"No buts, Peter. You're living with us now, we've got to make sure we've got all the food you like to eat, don't we?"

"But, I eat everything!... Except beetroot. And, what if its too expensive! We've got to stay on budget!"

Henry sighed, "Alright, I'll narrow it down for you. You right here, right now, can buy yourself one treat that you can't live without. What is it?"

Peter thought for a moment... There was one thing, "Could we... Could we get a pack of blueberries? Uh- please, Henry?"

Henry smiled warmly, "Yeah, course we can! Didn't know you liked blueberries that much to pick them over something like a bar of chocolate."

Both of them started walking to the fresh produce aisle, "Well, I still want to be healthy, but blueberries are delicious! Have you ever tried them?"