Chapter 29

Athena

It's been 20 minutes since Jack left. I kept staring at the direction he went, hoping he would come back. I didn't know what this feeling was, but I felt like something wasn't right.

Izzy and I walked together patrolling the camp while Reed explored the edges of the campsite. We didn't hear a thing, it was dead silent.

"How are you doing?" Izzy asked.
"What do you mean?"
"Athena, you can't fool me, we grew up together." She says.

Who am I kidding, I can't keep anything from Izzy. "I just feel like something's off." I explain "I mean why would they camp so close to us."
"I don't know, maybe they wanted a quick escape for when they captured you, like a rest spot." She says.
"Maybe, I just think it's too reckless to be honest." I say.

We continued to walk a couple more minutes before I smell something in the north side of the forest.
"Someone's coming!" I mind link to Reed. He quickly comes running and his guard is up.
"Who is it." He says.
"It's him, keep your guard up and be ready to fight." I order. We watch to see any movement from the forest, but it's too dark to see anything.

We start hearing sticks snap, but still don't see anyone come out.
"We know you're there, quit playing games and get out!" I yell.

Then noises suddenly stops, "I knew I couldn't hide from you Athena." Cole says revealing himself from the darkness.
"It was foolish of you to come here alone." Reed says, but Cole just smiles.
"Maybe, but I'm actually just here to talk." He says.
"What makes you think we will listen to anything you have to say." Reed says.
"Oh trust me, Athena would love to hear what I have to say. Especially when it involves her father." He says with a grin and then I felt a huge weight drop in the bottom of my stomach.

"What did you say!" I yell and fire started coming out of my hands.
"I think you need to come with me to check on your dad Athena." He says
"She's not going anywhere with you!" Izzy says.
"Oh I think she will. There's something she needs to see." He reaches his hand out to me. I know in my gut I shouldn't trust a thing he says, but I have no choice, not when it comes to my dad. I take a deep breath in and my flames go away.

"I'll go." I say
"What! No you wont, it's probably a trap." Izzy protest.
"Athena she's right, we can't trust him." Reed says. I look at both them and their faces looked worried, but I have to do this. I'll just be smart about it.
"Come with me, if it is a trap then at least you guys well be there." I say. They look at each other and nod.
Please don't let this be a trap.

********************

We follow Cole all the way to the Rose Mountain Pack. We make sure to keep a safe distance from him, but also being aware of our surroundings. As we got closer, I mind like to Mark to warn him about what was going on.

"Mark are you there?"
"Ya I'm here, whats up?"
"Izzy, Reed, and I are heading over with Cole."
"What! Are you ok?"
"Yes we're fine, he said I needed to see my dad. Do you know anything about what he's talking about?" Mark doesn't say a thing. Which only verifies something was wrong.

"Mark what aren't you telling me?"
"I think it's best you see for yourself."
Without hesitation I ran past Cole as fast as I could. I needed to check on my dad, I needed to see if he was ok.

"Athena Wait!" Izzy and Reed yell, but I don't listen. Somethings wrong with my dad and I had to find out what it was.

I ran all the way back home and I see Mark waiting outside my dad's house with CJ. I run past them without even looking at them and head straight to my father's room. I reach for the door nod and my hand starts to shake. I take a deep breath and open the door.