Chapter 23: Gentle Guidance

This is a long chapter, but it was too important to divide it up or shorten it.

There was no telling how much time passed while you cried, curling up into a ball on the floor, feeling little comfort from the cool tiles touching your heated skin.

Eventually, there were no tears left to cry and you just lay there in silence.

It was so strange that in less than fourty-eight hours, you went from a normal witch being incredibly busy with schoolwork, but enjoying life with your friends and your boyfriend, to the wreck you were now. No friends comforting you and no more boyfriend. 

You already missed him. 

The feeling of sadness and sorrow was not alien to you, but in the past there was always Sebastian to comfort you. 
   He always knew exactly what to say or do to make you feel better. 

Finally getting up from the floor, you weighed your options on what to do now. 
   Honestly, there was nothing you wanted to do. Except maybe sleep. 

Curfew had passed somewhere during your breakdown, so if you chose to go back to your dorm, you'd have to be sneaky about it. 
   It was too much of a bother. You didn't feel like moving at all right now, your limbs feeling heavy and your mind surprisingly blank.

Still, the Room of Requirement seemed to know exactly what you needed, because the couch and chairs you and the others had occupied not too long ago, were now molding into a big double bed. 

Despite everything, you felt the corner of your mouth tremble into a half smile, though only for a second.
'Thank you, Room.' 

Slowly you started to take off your shoes and trousers, shrugging out of the vest you were wearing, leaving you in your undergarments and a white cotton shirt. 

With some effort you managed to pull yourself up and onto the bed, settling down against the soft cushions and throwing the heavy blanket over yourself.
   Your eyes felt sore and tired from all the crying so you closed them, sighing as your body relaxed.
   It didn't take long before your breathing slowed as sleep washed over you.

You were a coward.

One. 

Giant.

Coward.

Over the next three days, you stayed holed up in the Room, not daring to come out.

The first day, you awoke late from a deep sleep and reality had crashed over you like a tidal wave.
   Sebastian broke up with you.

He didn't say it exactly like that, but it was pretty clear. You lost him.

And that wasn't even the worst of it all.
   Dark thoughts kept swimming in your head as your brain processed everything that happened at San Bakar's tower.
   Your friends had been hurt. Alyssa Sweeting had been beaten and tortured. Ominis had to relive his trauma by being tortured. All because of you.
   Because you so happened to have Ancient Magic. Powers that a certain Dark Wizard who just so happened to be your uncle, was hungry for. 

Instead of talking to a teacher about it, or even Officer Singer, you decided you should do this by yourself. Though not really. You had roped your friends into joining as well.
   Somehow you had gotten some sort of superiority complex that made you believe you could handle MacMillan. Not to mention the Golden Grounds.
   All because you so happened to be able to defeat dozens of Goblins, Ashwinders, Trolls and even Victor Rookwood and Ranrok. Apparently it made you feel like you were invincible.