Revivifying Tav - Halsin

Tav leads the charge against the Steel Watchers. Halsin has to make sure the make it out of the Foundry alive.

Content waring: character death, violence

Act 3, no spoilers

Word count: 1306

---

Your back hits a wall with a devastating crack. You fall to the ground, before spitting the blood out your mouth and standing again. It's getting exceedingly harder to get back up with each blow. Your party has dealt with a few Steel Watchers, but they always give you a run for your money. You knew what you were getting into by entering the Steel Watch Foundry - their domain. There's one discarded Watcher on the ground, but you're all still plenty busy with the 5 that remain.

You waver as you stand, squinting at the approaching Watcher to focus on it. You raise your hand to it as electricity crackles around it. A bolt of lightning shoots into the Watcher causing it to spasm, and you take the opportunity to run forward and plunge your longsword into its chest plate. 2 down, 4 more to go.

Around you, your three companions Karlach, Astarion, and Halsin have been battling nonstop by your side. Karlach has been trading melee blows with two of the steel giants, allowing Astarion to land several ranged shots while they're distracted. You and Halsin have been using a combination of melee weapon attacks and magic to pick off the other constructs. You've always been deadly with a blade, but your growing ability to cast magic has proven more than useful. As out of place Halsin has felt in the city, you knew his affinity for elemental magic would prove effective against the metal entities.

Another Steel Watcher locks you as it's target and charges, it's gargantuan blade heaved high in the air. You shout to your partner.

"Halsin! Ice storm!"

He looks at you over his shoulder.

"It's too close, you'll get caught in it!"

You're well aware of the danger that spell would put you in, but all your companions remain in even more danger the longer this fight goes on. Both you and Karlach ran out of healing potions about 30 seconds ago. If any of these machines get even a single hit on Astarion, he'll go down. With your decision made, you brace yourself for the coming storm as you respond.

"Do it, now!"

Halsin grits his teeth and brings his fist down, pulling down shards of ice upon you and the construct. You dive to the side, but your body is too weak to avoid its entirety. You land hard on your hip bone against the ground, now covered in a thick layer of ice. The momentum carries you backwards until your back once again hits with a crack, this time against one of the massive icicles that fell. You blackout for a second, but force your eyes open just in time. The Watcher, now pierced with numerous ice shards, stands above you with its foot raised. With your last burst of energy you roll to the right, perfectly evading being crushed. Your exposed and expended position, however, is quickly taken advantage of as the Watchers sword finally comes down not even a second later.

Everyone is too busy fighting to see the impact, but they all feel it: they have to brace as the ground quakes and splits. When they're able to look, they see the Steel Watcher above you with its blade pinning your dying body to the ground.

"NO!"

Halsin's yell is as desperate as it is animalistic. The three of them stare in horror as the sword is pulled from the stone, leaving a massive wound in your torso. The slick, icy ground makes it easy for your blood to coat the battle field red. Rage takes hold of everyone, having watched their leader and companion get slaughtered. Karlach releases a primal scream as she cleaves her great ax into two Watchers at once. Astarion fires an enchanted arrow, causing lightning to crackle and debilitate another construct upon impact. Halsin, having just watched the fall of his lover, releases a thunderous roar. His body shifts as muscle and fur protrude from his skin, until a ferocious bear stands where the man just stood. The bear charges for the robot that just cleaved you.

The battle rages on with new found fury, but being down a party member still proves to be a struggle. Several minutes pass before the final Steel Watcher clangs to the ground, unmoving. Everyone takes a moment to breathe - Karlach's fire cools, Astarion's bloodlust subsides, and Halsin reverts to his elven form. The three of them share a grim look, before finally turning to face your lifeless body. Halsin pushes the aching of his bones aside and sprints towards you, sliding on the ground to kneel at your side. He gathers you with desperation into his arms, frantically brushing your bloodied hair from your face.

"No, no, no, your light will not fade. It can not fade."

Nothing but blank eyes and colorless skin stare back up at him.

"Halsin!"

Karlach holds a scroll of revivify and tosses it to the druid. She and Astarion slowly walk towards you two on the ground. Halsin fumbles the scroll in his shaking hands, reciting the incantation to bestow your body with renewed life. The words leave his lips, and the scroll fades into the air, dissipating like a cloud of cinders. Everyone is still, staring unblinking at your corpse, waiting. Your gasp and coughs are a sudden and welcomed cacophony of sound, and everyone sighs with relief.

"There you are."

Halsin's voice is comforting, if not laced with dread from only moments prior. You take in his features that are heavy with sadness before he pulls you further into his embrace. His breath shudders as he whispers into your ear.

"Thank the Oak Father, I didn't lose you."

"You're not getting rid of me that easily."

You wheeze in response. He laughs in surprise, a smile finally cutting the sadness of his features.

"You were dead mere seconds ago, yet you still manage that sarcasm of yours."

"They learned it from me."

Astarion interjects. Karlach gives him a raised eyebrow and swift elbow to the ribs in response.

"Don't hit him too hard. Two resurrections in one day is a bit much, even for me."

Halsin can't help but laugh at your retort again. You shake in his arms as he laughs. He gives you a long, tender kiss on the forehead.

"We should get you back to camp before you start insisting on fighting more of those wretched creations."

Your amused smirk says it all. You're just glad the tension has been eased. Astarion leans on Karlach with an arm over her shoulders, and she leans on her great ax, using it as a deadly walking stick. Halsin is cautious as ever when he scoops you into his arms. With their companions limping away, he steals another gentle forehead kiss. His eyes meet yours with such deep emotion your heart breaks a little just gazing into them.

"Don't ever make me resurrect you again. Please don't let me ever see your corpse again. I can't bear it."

His voice cracks at the end. It takes all your strength to lift a hand and brush away one of his tears. Your eyes dampen too, and your heart aches infinitely more than your bones ever could.

"I swear it, never again. I am so sorry I did this to you-"

"You didn't do this to me, this isn't your fault."

A moment of peace and understanding passes between the two of you, and you respond.

"Thank you. I will make sure you never have to do it again, but thank you for bringing me back to you."

The smile on his lips, followed by his lips on yours shows you the state of his love for you in its most raw form. It speaks every word and writes every poem. And the way you kiss him back holds more love than the sun holds for the moon. The two of you finally part, and Halsin walks you both towards the exit to join the others.