Why Are You Lying?

You got home from work at eight. Keiji was already lying down on the couch, watching the television silently.

You closed the door and walked further into the house, and he still said nothing. You stepped in front of him and he was asleep, not watching the TV. Made sense as to why he didn't greet you once you'd gotten home.

You crouched down in front of him, and gently grabbed and held his face in your hand. Slowly, his eyes fluttered open. He looked at you tiredly, "What... When did you get home?" He asked groggily.

"Just now." You smiled slightly at him.

He sat up slowly, trying to become aware of his surroundings again. Then he reached out and hugged you, "Welcome... home."

You gave him a pat on the back, then pulled away and sat down next to him.

"How was work?" You asked.

"I talked to, uh... Miss Megumi about Mr. Tazuna."

"Oh yeah? Were you able to return his omamori?"

Keiji waited for a moment. "So... Miss Megumi asked me why I'd decided to join the police force, right?" You nodded your head, "And I told her, like, oh there was this guy I looked up to and I needed to return his omamori. She was like, oh well who is it, like, he might still be working here! So I told her, and apparently he quit."

"What? Did she say anything more about it?"

"No... she just said he quit. He had a kid. Maybe he just... wanted to be there for him, more."

Keiji's boss seemed a bit suspicious in this scenario, but, really, what were you supposed to do about the situation?

"How was work for you?" Keiji asked.

Not good.

"It was fine. Nothing really happened."

Why are you lying?

"Really?"

No.

"Yeah. Just the usual... 1-7 shift."

Oh my god. Just tell him. He knows about Hiyori. He'd be able to help you.

"So a boring, regular day?"

He's your boyfriend. He's supposed to care for and help you.

"Yeah."

No. It wasn't. You went into the break room and rewatched the footage. You sat on a chair and replayed everything in your head over and over and over and over and over,

"Working with... Shin?" Keiji asked suspiciously.

"I don't want to argue." You snapped.

"It sounds like you do."

You hesitated. You shouldn't have snapped at him. Using the word argue always starts an argument.

"...I don't." You said quietly. Barely loud enough to hear over the TV. You opened your mouth to speak. To apologize. To yell. To cry.

"I'm gonna go to our room." You said after another moment of hesitation. Keiji didn't respond.

~ * ~

You lied on your side as you tried to fall asleep without Keiji. It was hard to get tired, though, when your mind was racing.

You couldn't believe Shin. You wanted to because a shred of you had always hoped Hiyori was alive, even if you had moved on, but it really didn't make any sense.