Avarice Chapter 0: Point Zero

The alarm buzzed waking Velvet up, she lazily got up from her couch barely remembering where she was. The sun was already shining, passing rays thru the badly closed shutters. The day was in full force compared to the still tired from last night Velvet.
She got up from the couch and stretched her back while looking at the clock hanged on the wall, it was well past nine.
There were no jobs set for her as today, she was free for now to do whatever she wanted to.
Her choice to start the day was to actually get ready to leave her house, Velvet put some sweatpants and went to the bathroom to actually get herself together. She brushed her teeth before taking a quick morning shower.
Then finally she got herself in some outside sports clothes, deciding to go outside and probably get some contract going because she stayed on one contract's pay too long now.

She left her apartment while pulling her hoodie over her head and kicking the door shut. She took out her phone and read some news while walking down the stairs.
Things are getting much worse down at the middle east, it pretty much became a playground for PMCs funded by rich CEOs to prove who can send more money down the drain to show who has more power. She didn't get angry or even sad about it though, it was the way she was able to fund most of her arming projects and put food on the table.
She opened the apartment building's entrance and left, sun was shining directly in her face.
Velvet put earphones in her ears and put one of her more liked songs on play.

She ventured thru the booming with life streets in a steady jog, going towards the nearest underground contract agency, a place where your high profile CEO would hire a guy to hire another guy so the guy could hire someone to kill someone. With all the shade going on it was still her best bet to find a job that wouldn't end up with killing some low life gang members, she thought of herself to be much more than a mere hitman.
While going towards the agency she decided to put a couple more things on her list of things to do, and first was to actually eat something since she forgot to make herself breakfast.
She quickly entered the nearest café and got herself a seat, waiting for a waiter to give her the menu.

The waiter came up to her and placed a card on her table.
"What would you like to order, miss?" - The waiter asked in the usual tone you would expect from a minimum wage worker.
"I'd ask for the cheese and ham bagel with the large mug of warm milk" - Velvet responded wanting to keep to her usual diet even while eating outside.
The waiter noted the order and left to the kitchen.
While waiting for the order Velvet scrolled thru several contract posting sites to maybe find something that would catch her eye with its difficulty and pay.
Most well paid jobs were merely simple hits from a gang to gang and the jobs listed as challenging were mainly underpaid suicide missions posted to bait mercenaries into creating political drama.
She sighed and put her phone back into her pocket, disappointed and disgruntled.

Soon after she did that, the waiter came up to her with the order she wanted. The bagel was sizably smaller than what she anticipated but she was quick to remind herself that she wasn't making the food herself. She ate the prepared meal and drank the actually large mug of milk.
Velvet called the waiter to come over and paid for the meal. Then she left for the UCA.

The way there wasn't long from the café, a few blocks down and she was near the unassuming warehouse that under it housed more dangerous men than the police ever thought about arresting.
Velvet came up to the id system and scanned her eye.
The system took a minute to process due to encryptions and other safety mechanisms but in the end, it let her in to the warehouse. From there she passed a couple guards and left her pocket knife at the entry man before entering the UCA.
She knew where to seek those who would be able to provide her with the contract she wanted and so she went to the main reception and asked for someone who "Needs a war."
The receptionist looked through the files on her computer to find a person with a really high profile, pay and difficulty operation but ended up finding nothing.