♔ late night snack ♔

At 1:37 A.M., I crept into the kitchen, my stomach growling. As a result of a trip home from Italy, I'd slept through both lunch and dinner the day before.

Peering into the darkness, I lifted myself up on my tiptoes and slid open the cabinet of breakfast cereals. Now that I'd woken up, I knew that I wouldn't be able to go back to bed without some sustenance.

Although I could barely see, I reached for the highest shelf, my fingers just too short to reach the nearest box. I was about to lift myself onto the counter when, suddenly, a pair of scorching hands slid around my hips.

My body solidified. Blood running cold, I glanced down to ensure that the hands were familiar and not foreign.

Relief flooded me, but anger joined it too.

"I will personally break your back," I hissed to my boyfriend, "if you ever do that again."

He grinned against my ear. "Are you threatening me, Heiress?"

"I am." Sighing, I dropped my hands from the cabinet and turned around.

Jameson immediately pressed me against the counter. I was about to open my mouth and retort further, when he reached up above my head and grabbed the very box of cereal I had been about to.

He placed it on the counter behind me. "Late night snack?"

"I'm hungry."

"I am too." Hands sliding up the backs of my thighs, he lifted me up onto the counter. Jameson's fingers moved behind my head, protecting it from hitting the jagged edge of a cabinet now behind me.

As he kissed me, it remained there, buried in my hair.

When he finally pulled back, Jameson slid me down and helped me into a chair at the dining table. Then, while I recovered from the whiplash he'd just given me, he poured us each a bowl of cereal, topped them with milk, and grabbed two spoons.

My vision was still blurred when he joined me at the dining table.

I couldn't quite comprehend how the brazen man who'd just kissed me senseless had turned into a gentleman all of the sudden.

As we ate, my mind still hazed, Jameson murmured, "Get what you were looking for?"

I met his eyes. "And more."