Fortune Favours the Wicked

Scaramouche x Soothsayer!Reader

[1st person POV]

The sound of home is distant in my head. It seems reachable, yet the ringing in my ears obscures the thought process of me trying to recreate those memories. I can no longer see the busy streets. I can't smell the food from the street vendors.

Even the Opera songs my dear companion would sing are no longer comprehensible. I'm like an empty shell. A void of all things that made me into who I am - who I was.

But this numbness is proof that I'm still alive. Ironically, I've grown to be grateful for feeling this everlasting despair.

It's the one thing the Fatui can't take away from me. No matter how many times that wicked Harbinger would come up to my holding cell and seek out my company - this feeling of dread is the one thing that reminds me that I'm still human.

He comes up in the middle of the night, with water and food and the little trinkets from my nation that I requested for. Always the same routine, never more and never less. It's been so frequent that I learned to differentiate between when he lies and when he lets slip of the truth.

"Here are the Noctilucous Jades you asked for..." The Harbinger sets the stones down on my desk. When he noticed I hadn't responded to his presence, he turned my direction briefly before speaking with a firmer voice. "It took a lot of bribing and smuggling to get these past the border."

"I know," I replied, a little too carefree than intended. It couldn't be helped though, I was too busy admiring the rich, blue gleam of the Jades. Then, I noticed something extra in his hands.

The sight of blue flower petals instantly grabbed my attention. I watched as he silently replaced the wilted Silk Flowers with freshly picked Glaze Lilies. My favourite.

The first time he did this, he brought me Violetgrass when he saw how depressed I'd gotten in my cell. When he saw my indifference to them, he brought back Qingxin next. The smell of Qingxin brought me back to my home in the mountains, and I bawled in front of him like a child. Immediately, the next night, he appeared with Silk Flowers and studied my mixed reaction. I tolerated them better than the others. It was only a matter of time before he realized I stopped watering the flowers. He must have caught on by now that only flora from the city brought me comfort.

And his observation was right. I could never get tired of seeing Glaze Lilies. Witnessing them bloom is nothing short of a miracle. Oh, how it reminded me of the city...

I can imagine it was a bit of a challenge to bring flowers all the way from Liyue to this closed-off nation.

"I'm very grateful for your efforts, Lord Scaramouche..."

"Then you know what's next, Soothsayer." His sudden appearance beside my bed was enough to make my heart nearly jump. "I need you now."

I could never get used to seeing him eye to eye, that indigo colour pierced through me, unlike anything I'd seen before. His dark attire almost made him blend in with the darkness. And that looming hat of his, it was as if it were tailored by the Archons to shield anyone who came in contact with him.

Before I knew it, I was pulled to my feet and dragged behind Scaramouche with a firm grip on my wrist. He brought me to the space of the room where my divination supplies were laid out neatly on top of my table. Sometimes I forget that I'm one of the Fatui's captives, which I understand is totally unacceptable.

But it's different. I'm sure that if I had to explain it to an outsider I would surely receive harsh glares and recommendations to be sent to a psych ward. But it's different, I would like to highlight. It's way different than what I expected in the beginning.