I: Rosalie & Tristan

chapter one

chapter one.
rosalie & tristan

        At 6:13 in the morning on Tuesday, Rosalie decides that she can't stand Tristan. She's tired of leaning against the cool metal of his dull blue locker, tired of operating on his schedule, tired of waiting around for him to learn to love the right way.

        At lunch, wedged in between a sea of people in the courtyard, sprawled out on the grass, Rosalie breaks up with Tristan. (This is their 4th breakup—surely, like the others, it won't stick). She twists the stem of a dandelion between the pads of her index finger and thumb, he loves me, he loves me not. She decides it's the latter.

        At 6:31 in the evening on that same Tuesday, there's a stone clinking against her window and a blonde boy behind the momentum. He waves with a pleading smile, stepping forward, dimly illuminated by the street lights. His eyes are red, like he's been crying. Like he's sorry.

They get back together, and Rosalie knows that if you peel back all of the layers, unravel the both of them, there is bound to be love like a string, fastened to their pinkies, binding them beneath it all.

✭✭✭

"Hey, Ro," Tristan grins, his mouth curving up into a signature half smirk. He laces his hand with hers.

"Hey," she returns a soft smile, swinging their hands as they walk. Rosalie and Tristan maneuver through the hallways, and a fleeting thought poses itself in her mind: this can work, they can be okay, fourth time is the charm, right?

        Four letters in the word four, four weeks in a month, four seasons in a year, and Rosalie and Tristan: together for the fourth time, permanence never associated with their breakups or breaks. Love that doesn't leave, takes only minuscule leaves of absence, is still love, right?