↞chapter sixteen↠

Lanie's POV:
I woke up thinking about Rydel. She now knows my secret. I got dressed even though I had no idea what I was going to do. I heard music from downstairs, so I obviously went towards the music. The Lynch's and Ellington were jamming in the garage. This is what sleeping in gets you. I walked in and sat down on the couch. They finished the song and started talking to me.
"What are you planning on doing, like for a job?" Ross asked out of the blue.
"I don't even know to be honest. I guess I haven't given it much thought," I answered.
"You should become a singer! You already are popular amongst our fans, and you can sing and play guitar," Rydel said.
"I guess I could. I'm not really that good though."
"Please, Lanie, you have a beautiful voice!" Riker said. I looked down, blushing. Rydel noticed and pulled me over to a microphone, obviously trying to help me.
"Sing something!" I sang Avalanche by Walk the Moon. Everyone clapped after I was done.
"See, I told you your voice was beautiful!" Riker said. He really needed to stop before I melted in front of everybody.
Riker's POV:
I couldn't take this much longer. I wanted Lanie to be mine. I didn't want to ruin our friendship, but I can't help feelings.
What if she doesn't feel the same? I could totally ruin our friendship. Ugh, why does life have to be so challenging?!?! While I had been in deep thought, everyone had left the garage. I started singing It Was Always You, which has kinda become my jam recently.
"You wanna talk about it?" Lanie asked, suddenly appearing.
"Not really..." I said, probably making her suspicious.
"You don't seem right. Like, you seem restless," she said. She was right. I was getting restless.
"Can I have a hug?" I asked randomly.
"You don't have to ask," she said, hugging me. I liked this, but, sadly, she pulled away. I need to do this while I've built up the courage. Gosh, I'm scared. I picked up a guitar and started singing.

"Beauty queen of only eighteen
She had some trouble with herself
He was always there to help her
She always belonged to someone else

I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more

I don't mind spending every day
Out on your corner in the pouring rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved

Tap on my window, knock on my door
I want to make you feel beautiful
I know I tend to get so insecure
It doesn't matter anymore

It's not always rainbows and butterflies
It's compromise that moves us along, yeah
My heart is full and my door's always open
You come anytime you want, yeah.

I don't mind spending every day
Out on your corner in the pouring rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved

I know where you hide alone in your car
Know all of the things that make you who you are
I know that goodbye means nothing at all
Comes back and begs me to catch her every time she falls

Yeah

Tap on my window knock on my door
I want to make you feel beautiful

I don't mind spending every day
Out on your corner in the pouring rain, oh.
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved

[in the background:]
Please don't try so hard to say goodbye

Yeah, yeah.

[softly:]
I don't mind spending every day
Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Please don't try so hard to say goodbye"

Lanie looked confused. "Lanie, I know you are confused right now, but I'm not. We've always been best friends, but recently I've started feeling things that I never thought I would feel. You may not like me, you may not ever like me, but I thought you should know," I said and started walking away. Lanie grabbed me and pulled me back onto the couch.
"I don't like you, Riker." My heart shattered. I could feel tears coming. I started to get up again, but she kept talking."I've liked you for so long that it is no longer just 'like'. I love you, Riker." I practically squeezed her to death.
"Gosh, don't scare me like that!" I sat there hugging her for a few minutes, until I finally spoke up. "Lanie, would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?"
"I would love to!" I kissed her forehead, causing her to blush.
"Would you be ok with me telling a few people about us?" I asked.
"Well, I figured the whole family deserves to know."
"Let's go!" I took her hand and led her into the living room where everyone was. They looked over at us and then down at our hands.
"Have something you would like to say?" Rocky asked.
"Let's see... I ate lunch, had a jam session, asked Lanie out, and walked in here. What about you?" I asked. Rydel screamed one of the most ear piercing screeches I've ever heard. Ryland, Ellington, and Rocky looked dumbfounded.
"I TOLD YOU IT WOULD HAPPEN!!!" Rydel and Ross said simultaneously. Lanie and I looked at each other and laughed. We walked into the kitchen to grab some food.
"I'm so glad I worked up enough courage to ask you out. If I didn't, I would still be moping around," I said. She just laughed. Man, I love this girl.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally! Rilanie has sailed! I'm sorry for making you wait 16 chapters, but hopefully it was worth it.☺️