Fifteen

"What was that, Stella?" Theodore grunts as they step out of the house. They stroll along the front yard, surrounded by a beautiful garden brimming with vibrant roses, the scent of freshly cut Bermuda grass mingling in the crisp air.

Stella feigns innocence, her eyes dancing with mischief. "What do you mean?"

"What was that wink?"

He pushes the metal gate open, which lets out a high-pitched squeak that makes them both cringe.

Stella throws her arms up in mock surrender. "Doesn't mean anything."

"Don't toy with me."

Even without discussing it, Theodore and Stella head to the playground where they used to hang out back in high school. The familiar pathway fills Stella with nostalgia, and she can't help but smile at the memories of their youth.

How nice it is to be reunited with her best friend again.

"Stella..."

She throws him a leer. "Why are you so flushed?"

"Did he... Did he say something?"

"Who?"

"You know who!"

She bursts out laughing. "Oh my! He confessed!"

Theodore's cheeks turn an even deeper shade of red.

"What did he say?"

"It was... It was a whole thing. I kind of ticked him off, and he suddenly declared that he likes me out of nowhere," Theodore explains.

Stella squeals with excitement, almost jumping. "He really can't keep his feelings to himself, can he? What happened? How'd you upset him?"

The playground is devoid of children. Stella and Theodore sit across from each other on the rusty see-saw.

"I... I actually thought you liked each other," Theodore says, gripping tightly on the handle.

"What?"

"He asked if you were my girlfriend and when I said no, he was so happy... And then you also said that you like him."

Stella narrows her eyes. "Is that why you were making us hang out?"

"Yeah?"

"You're so funny! I don't like him for me, idiot. I like him for you."

Theodore grimaces. "That's exactly what he told me."

Stella pushes herself up, her feet dangling in the air as Theodore stays on the ground on the opposite side.

"So, what do you think?"

"Of course, I said no."

She scowls. "What? Why?"

"We don't know each other that much, Stella. And he obviously disliked me for as long as I could remember. And now he wants to date? I can't wrap my head around it."

"It's because neither of you gave each other a chance before!"

"Fair enough. But this is Jacob. While I'm a crowd favorite in the circle, everyone thinks he's arrogant. We don't seem to be compatible," Theodore remarks as he pushes off the ground, lifting himself into the air.

"What's gotten into you? You were the one who told me to suspend my judgment. Why are you suddenly pessimistic? Besides, you can't really tell what's going to happen until you go out with him. Come on, Theo! When was the last time you dated anybody?"

"Three years ago...?"

"See! It's been too long! And you guys are both hot! You'll be so cute together!"