Chapter XXXIII - "Prom date!"

"Wooo!!! Yehaaa!!!" A girl outside howled.

The entrance was full of squealing, giggling well-dressed students. Red banners were taped to the school walls spelling:

G.H. Academy Prom 1995.

Gold and red tinsels were thrown everywhere (which a gut feeling told me would be replaced by toilet paper sooner or later). Strings with letters hanging from the gates, crimson-brown light beaming from inside, and love lingering in the air.

"This is amazing . . . " I gaped at the sight, lost in the beauty of youth. The school was bustling with people! I could just feel the couples holding hands, not a care in the world.

"Look at the gate." Innes suddenly murmured to my ear. "I made those strings."

"The one with letters?" I whispered back.

"Yeah. I accidentally joined the art committee."

"Really???"

"Didn't read it properly."

I wanted to laugh. "Did you do it alone? You would go insane."

"I would've killed myself. I did it with that Naomi guy."

"Ahh. Well, it's pretty!"

As much as I was happy, I was also nerve-racked-terrified. I'm risking it all in four hours. My life's gonna turn upside down.

Molly opened the door followed by Innes. I left the car and fixed my blazer.

I looked at the love of my life. As Ollie moved to leave, I held out my hand. He looked up at me for a moment. He smiled. Ollie took my hand and I helped him up.

We all spent a hot moment staring at the school, taking it all in. The tune of Stayin' Alive playing from afar.

We headed inside. Now or never.

***

The school ballroom was bombarded with students! The room itself was a mix of our school colors, red, brown, and grey furniture with white lights shining from the corners. There were golden tinsels hanging from the ceiling and the scent of overlapping perfume. It was perfect!

"Woah!" Molly could've almost squealed. And to be honest? I could've too.

Eventually, we spotted our table and settled in.

"This is nice." Innes comments, eyeing everyone up and down. I think she was looking for somebody.

"You could at least be a bit more optimistic."

" . . . "

Ollie tilts his head. "Looking for someone? Do you have a secret prom date?"

She cringed. "No. And I'm not looking for anybody."

"Lieees~" Molly chimes in, pinching her cheek.

Suddenly, we hear a shaky voice.

"Hi!" It was Tyler in his white suit. He bends down behind her and awkwardly grins. "Uhh, Molly?"

She slyly smiles, glancing at me. "Yes?"

Innes twists away. "Oh my God . . . "

"About prom," He takes a deep breath. "Have you . . . thought about being my prom date long enough?"

Molly scoffs. She turns around and pulls his tie, startling us. "Sure."

I fumbled to take out my camera as I took a flash of them! They weren't kissing but I couldn't deny my heart skipped a beat! I was basically the one who set them up. I don't know whether to be happy or terrified.