Chapter 7: Relationships

After JetRaidz had left, I had to think about things. Was I only interested in my friends for selfish reasons? I couldn't really form an answer to this—for although I loved to help them in their need, it seemed that I was the one who decided what a "need" was and was not.

So I had to change; I had to be better. I didn't doubt that at all. It was scary, too, because my instincts were to look out for myself. And even now . . . maybe I was only really doing it to manipulate them into helping me . . . But I couldn't think about that. I had to think about ways to be a considerate friend.

Thankfully, Jet had left me with some wisdom: Take interest in them, and they will like you more. Care about what they care about, and they will care about you. I wasn't sure how to take this advice, but he pointed out that simply trying to spend time with everyone—individually, personally—would be a step in the right direction. I pounced on this; surely I would be capable of playing with someone.

So I decided, the next morning, to ask Melongan if he wanted to play something with me.

He agreed—so I sent him a party invite, and so we went into a game of TNT Tag.

After the TNT was passed at lightning speed to various people, including myself, I slowly ascended the tower-shaped map to get away from the people who were It. I was safely away from any explosive players by the time I reached the top. I relaxed in one of the corners, right next to Melon.

"Well then, this is a good start," I said. But it wasn't really hard at all to survive the first round, so to compensate for the stupid comment, I added, "Kinda."

"Yeah," he said. "I guess if one of us dies in the first round, we can go to a new game. Also, watch out for Elkk. He's a good TNT Tag player."

I nodded, but said nothing more, and he didn't either.

A few rounds of the game passed. Neither of us had said anything more. I was beginning to worry that we simply wouldn't talk—because then the entire thing would prove to be fruitless—but I also didn't want to force conversation. Still . . . one of us had to initiate, right? And he sure wasn't. So it would be up to me.

So after the fourth round began, and we were still in the safe spot together, I cleared my throat: "Melon?" I said.

"Yeah?" he said, staring down at the fistfighting below us.

"I just wanna say sorry," I said, looking elsewhere. "For everything that's gone on lately."

I did glance at him once, though—and he had a frown on his face. "It's fine, I guess. I don't understand what the problem is, though," he said, "or why you didn't tell us sooner."

I had to process his words for a moment, because before he'd said them, I had been under the impression that I was the one who was always confused. "Because it's hard," I said, hoping that would explain it sufficiently. "I mean . . . sometimes friendships are just awkward, I think."

"I don't think so," he said passively, still watching the activity.

Right before I could respond, somebody came up to us with a TNT. Together, we swiftly knocked him off the edge and away from us. He exploded in an instant as the fourth round ended—and moments later, the fifth round started. Neither of us were It.

So I turned my attention back to Melon. "You don't think so?" I repeated. He nodded. "Well," I said, "but I'm saying that's how it is. It's been awkward for me."

"But how could it be awkward?" he asked. He was now looking at me, and I had to look back. His face was scrunched a little, like he was now less comfortable with the conversation.