Chapter 5

The bridge was old, a metal monstrosity of rust and rivets. A boundary between the world of vampires and the civilized town of the humans, its steel bones were older than the humans that crossed it. Kept in place by the Order, it was a battleground they'd bled to hold. The river was instrumental in the castle's defenses, in centuries past it had formed a natural wall against the hordes.

Sprinting across the bridge, she heard the explosive splashes from the river. Blood thundered into her as she leveraged her bits of knowing into a bastards used of the blood arts. The world slowed as time was pulled apart, seconds carved into minutes.

Rising through the air, the creatures were corrupted parts of the natural world. Frog like legs glistened wetly in the moon light, bone talons tipping webbed hands and feet, puss green skin coated with gelatinous slime. Yellowed by age, their beaks were sharpened into razors. Turtle like shells armored their backs and chests, waddles of leathery flesh spilling from orifices.

The four monsters landed on the rails, frog like fingers wrapping around steel. Croaking out their rage, their beaks snapped with greedy hunger. Kappa loved flesh, human, vampiric, or Umbrae Lunea, they didn't care, as long as it was fresh enough to scream.

Launching off the rail, two of the Kappa landed in crouches in front of Alexandra, while the other two landed behind her. Boxed in, she dropped the shotgun to the ground and drew her swords.

Shuffling on bended frogs' feet, the four creatures spread out around her, bone talons held low, black eyes darting between the blades and Alexandra's face. Born in water, they were devils in their element, but they weren't nearly as dangerous outside it.

"Step aside," Alexandra hissed, long fangs dimpling her bottom lip.

"Fleshy." The croaking voice grated along the air. Black malice swirled in the creature's eyes. "No further, we take flesh as own. Feed long on sweet meat, agreed by shining ones."

Alexandra's lips pulled back from her teeth in a silent snarl. "You made a deal with the Hounds."

"They pay meat, newborn, soft, screams pretty." A pointed black tongue slide along its beak with naked relish. "New flesh, thick with fats."

"They gave you the children of God," Alexandra said, swords tracking the shuffling steps of the monsters.

"Not our god," the creature croaked with a coarse, wet coughing as it laughed. "Meat, fresh, healthy. Good for young."

She eyed the four kappa with her back to the rail. The Hounds had paid for an ambush and they'd gotten it. Kappa weren't players in the war. Fragmented into families, the land wars meant nothing to the river scum. But they were for sale, if were willing to pay the price.

Alexandra spun around, rushing the ones blocking the way to the castle. Eyes widened slowly as time stuttered under the power of the blood arts. The katana swept up, too fast for the kappa to see, let alone stop. Leathery flesh tugged the blade before strength torn from blood powered it through muscle and bone.

The arm spiraled into the air as the kappa fell back in a spray of blood from its stump. Turning to its partner, Alexandra dropped under a sweep of bone claws. Her knees hit the bridge as the wakizashi came up, its curved blade parted the kappa's balls, thrusting up into the organs protected by its shell.

Shivering, the kappa's hands spasmed as black blood gushed from its crotch and drenched Alexandra's hand. Tearing the blade from the things dying flesh, Alexandra spun to face the shuffling duo left as the kappa fell with a wet thump.