001

April 16, 2022

-Hello, what's up? —I said, placing my cell phone to my ear. It was my agent, which meant it could be either good or bad news.

-Amara Ravenswood Wycliffe, I'm going to become your favorite person when I tell you this, seriously, it's incredible news.

-Stop beating around the bush and spill it. —I exclaimed excitedly, imagining the best.

-You're going to be the first woman in 30 years to enter Formula 1, and not only that, you've been hired by the best team. Amara, you're going to be racing alongside Max Verstappen.

-Tell me this isn't a joke. —I said, on the verge of tears.

-It's not. Sergio Perez had an accident, and he won't be able to race this season. He personally said that if someone were to replace him, he wanted it to be you. You'll sign the contract tomorrow. If you accept, right?

-Of course, yes, a million times yes. —I started jumping with joy, and at that moment, I only thought of calling Sergio. He was like a second father to me; he was the one who introduced me to the world of racing.

-Perfect, I'll see you tomorrow at 8 for the signing. —and with that, I let out a happy scream, catching the attention of everyone in the café. I scrolled through my contacts to call Sergio.

-I love you. You're the best person in the world. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll be forever grateful. I'm so happy; thank you, really. —I said, breathing quickly after spilling out all those words so fast. If Eminem could hear me, he'd be intimidated.

-I just gave you a little push, Ama. You earned this by being a great pilot. —he replied with laughter.

-Thank you. How are you feeling now? Are you better? —I asked, still excited.

-I'm better, but lovely, I have to go. I trust you, I love you. You'll do great. —and those were the words I needed to hear.

-I love you too, and thank you one last time. —I heard his laughter before ending the call.

-Ready to sign? —Liam, my agent, asked before entering the room filled with interviewers and photographers.

-Yes. —I took a deep breath before entering. I had already read the contract, so it was just a matter of signing it and being swarmed by journalists.

-Just sign here, and you'll be a part of the Red Bull team for the rest of the season. —those words from Christian Horner were all I needed to sign the contract with the sincerest smile in the world. We took some photos, and I began answering questions.

-How do you feel about this achievement, Amara?

-I'm very happy, and I'm very grateful for this opportunity. I'm going to give it my all.

-You're the only woman among all the racers. Do you feel pressure because of that?

Honestly, I'm not aware of what I can achieve if I put in the effort and give it my all, which is what I'm going to do.

-Have you met Max Verstappen yet?

-No, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet. I suppose it'll be soon. I hope we get along.

-Do you like Red Bull Racing, or would you have preferred another team?

-The other teams are fine, but my favorite has always been Red Bull Racing.

-I think that's enough questions for today, Amara has to go, I'm sorry. —my assistant spoke, pulling me out of the room. The reporters' pleas for more time brought a smile to my face.

-You'll have dinner with the entire team tonight, and tomorrow you'll wake up early for training. You only have four days until the next race, and on Thursday, a private jet will take you to Imola, Italy, for the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix.

-It's beautiful. —I said, looking at the car that now belonged to me in a way. I ran my finger over the number 13 marked on the front.