chapter 75 - Part 2: the great war

"Always remember the burning embers."

— Taylor Swift

───•~❉᯽❉~•───

(long chapter ahead, grab water!)

chapter 75 - Part 2: the great war

Y/n's Perspective

The harsh tension in the frigid night was stark against the soft glistening snow under my feet, dusting my braided hair and pristine armour as it fell from above.

I clutched my wand tight between my trembling fingers. A feeling that was not from fear, but rather from the fire in my veins, waiting to be unleashed as my gaze pierced the path ahead of me like a sword aimed to kill.

Because I was aiming to kill.

Everyone marched behind me in a line, except Sebastian Sallow who stayed by my side. I could feel everyone looking up as the ancient magic barrier I created gleamed again, signaling Marvolo's attacks.

The barrier was weakening. I could feel it. And I knew exactly where Marvolo would be.

"Miss Gray!" I heard someone call.

I turned around in haste and found Professor Weasley and Professor Hecat marching toward us, a few students following behind. Leander Prewett and Everett Clopton included.

I exchanged looks with Sebastian and the others before stepping forward.

I said, "Professor? You should be defending the other side of the school."

"Oh enough with that, Y/n. You should call me Matilda, dear. We are past that now," she commented. "Besides, we've got enough defense on the other side. Dinah and I will have your back."

Dinah Hecat eyed me with a wicked smile. Despite her age, I knew she was still a damned good duellist. She was our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for a reason.

"Let's stop dawdling here. We've got a battle to win. I expect you all to use what I've taught you to the best of your abilities," she urged.

"I'm ready," said Leander. Everett gave a confident nod in agreement.