As Long As We Have Each Other ≫ Hollyleaf x Male! Reader

Art: cat-with-horns

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Mentioned murder
• Mild disturbing themes
• Angst

This is a request for SweetCinnybuns. I hope you like it!

****

Dark shadows had begun to stretch across the camp, coating the familiar hollow in a thick darkness. The shadows seemed denser and more sinister than usual, however, and that became more apparent the longer you stared at Ashfur's limp corpse.

"...Who would've done this...?" Ferncloud whispered from beside you, her voice strained from crying.

You glanced at the dappled gray tabby she-cat, shaking your head. "I'm not sure, Ferncloud." You really weren't; it made absolutely no sense. Who in StarClan's name had it out for Ashfur, out of all cats? Sure, he and Squirrelflight had fought, but you were fairly certain neither her nor Brambleclaw would go to such an extreme length.

You suddenly spotted a sleek black pelt on the other side of the clearing, and looked up to see the she-cat you had been sharing a nest with for the past moon. It was Hollyleaf, and she looked sick with grief.

Once again, confusion gripped you. Hollyleaf and Ashfur never spoke. Why was she so sad? It's not wrong to grieve the death of a clanmate, You reasoned, surveying each of the shocked, pained expressions that surrounded you. But still... Hollyleaf almost seems more upset than Ashfur's own family.

Hollyleaf noticed your gaze resting on here and flinched, then turned and slunk out of camp with her tail between her hind legs.

Now thoroughly concerned, you rose to your paws and quietly padded past your grieving clanmates and squeezed through the thorn barrier where Hollyleaf had disappeared. As much as you wanted an answer as to why she was acting the way she was, you knew you couldn't expect her to want to talk about it. But I still have to try.

You found the black-furred she-cat sitting on the shore of the lake, staring into the rippling water. Even from a distance, you could see a tremendous amount of pain in her beautiful green eyes. It made your heart ache.

"...Hollyleaf...?" You murmured, taking several gentle steps towards her.

Hollyleaf startled, letting out a sharp gasp. She turned to face you, and you saw shame darken her features. "O-oh...! H-hi, (Y/N)," She stammered. "Why...Why are you here...?" Her tone held no irritation, only fear. What in StarClan's name had gotten into her?

"I came to find you," You replied gently. "Why did you run off in the middle of Ashfur's vigil?"

At the mention of the deceased warrior, the shame that was shadowing Hollyleaf's eyes grew deeper. "I-I can't do it," She spluttered out through a mess of oncoming tears. "I can't sit by my grieving clanmates after what I've done..."

You tipped your head to one side, watching her with eyebrows furrowed in concern. "What do you mean?" You asked. "What did you do?" Hollyleaf rarely acted so nervous around you, and a sense of dread was beginning to settle in the air.

"Ashfur knew about Leafpool and Crowfeather," She whispered, meeting your gaze shamefully. "He knew, and he was going to tell every cat at the gathering... I couldn't let him, (Y/N)... I couldn't let him ruin my life..."