Prologue

All anyone could see was red.

Scorching flames spread across the land, burning and destroying everything it could lay its claws on, leaving nothing but ruins in its wake. Mirai, one of the most prominent towns of the hexers, found itself in the grip of chaos and destruction. Some called it a natural disaster but this fire had no natural cause. The people ran helter-skelter in search of refuge or escape but their efforts were in vain.

This day was forever known as the Day of Nix.

Historical statues and towers crumbled, and homes burst into flames.

Athena, the town's most powerful hexer (witch) of all, sent many of her people to different places through the portals she weaved out of seemingly thin air. Where they were going, she didn't know, but it was their only chance of survival. Just a little more time before she'd get help from the rest of The Bronze Table.

'Wah!' her child's cries filled the air.

Every other voice or sheer cry for help drowned out her mind. All her attention was now focused on nothing but her child at that moment. With tender affection, she gently lifted the sobbing two-year-old into her arms and placed a tender kiss on the child's forehead. In a stroke of inspiration, she conjured up a piece of paper seemingly out of nothing and proceeded to write a note.

To whomever is reading this, I may already be dead or missing by now. This is Marie, a hexer, please take care of her as your own. While she may have her challenges and struggles, take the time to truly understand and appreciate her. May your time with Marie be filled with joy, wonder, and a touch of magic. Her favorite food is spaghetti and please don't let her find out the truth.

-Athena.

 As she gently brushed away the tears from her eyes, and tightly embraced her child, knowing that it would probably be their final encounter. The bittersweet mix of sorrow and love overwhelmed her.

"I love you so much, my dear."

She gently pushed her child through the mystical gateway, their destinies seemingly entwined. With a determined yet wistful expression, she turned around and confronted her fate.

.............................................................................
Somewhere far away

An old human couple was walking home hand in hand with the groceries they had gotten from the market square. Sure, they were happy and all but what they truly desired was the sound of little feet running around their cozy home.

The lady stopped and so did her husband at the sound of a child's cry. There, in a basket, laid a girl, with dark skin and blue eyes welled up with tears. 

There was also a note...

..............................................................................

How do you like the story so far? 😅

Please let me know in the comments.

And don't forget to vote! ✨