Revenge Game

The first rays of Friday morning barely pierced the horizon when Hope found herself wide awake. Despite the stillness of the house, a restless energy coursed through her veins. She tossed and turned all night, haunted by thoughts that refused to fade with the darkness. For the first time, Lizzie wasn't beside her, having chosen to sleep in her own room. Hope wondered if that absence was the reason for her sleeplessness, or perhaps it was the looming presence of Ava.

The mere thought of seeing Ava again churned her stomach. Memories of that fateful day in the locker room still played vividly in Hope's mind. She could distinctly recall the way their eyes met, the tension palpable, as if time itself had paused. Hope remembered leaning in, and she was almost certain Ava had mirrored her movement. But doubt gnawed at her. What if she had misread the signs? Had she, unintentionally, pressured Ava? The last thing Hope wanted was to be branded as someone who overstepped boundaries.

Checking the clock, the digits glowed 6:00 a.m., and a decision formed in Hope's mind. She headed to the bathroom and turned the shower knob, letting the icy water gush forth. She had read somewhere that shocking your system with a cold shower had invigorating effects, and she hoped it might offer her some clarity, some relief from her muddled thoughts.

Stepping into the shower, the biting chill of the water enveloped her, causing her to gasp. But even as the cold droplets cascaded over her skin, they did little to quell the internal storm. The sting of the water paled in comparison to the weight of her thoughts. In that moment, the cold wasn't the most painful thing she was experiencing.

The morning sun gently kissed Lizzie's face, coaxing her awake. As her eyes fluttered open, she gazed around the room, taking in the familiar setting yet still finding it hard to believe it was all real. It was a ritual of sorts now – she'd pinch herself every day, ensuring this wasn't just a fragment of her dreams. With a soft sigh, she swung her legs over the edge of the bed and ambled over to the window.

The outside world greeted her with the sight of leaves playfully dancing in the brisk morning air, their colors an autumnal mosaic. Lizzie cherished mornings like these. It was Friday, and there was no school. Normally, she would relish the chance to sleep in, but old habits die hard; her internal clock woke her up promptly at 6 a.m., a remnant from her earlier days.

She ambled to the bathroom, *her* bathroom – a thought that brought a warm, appreciative smile to her face. After finishing up her morning routine, she was lost in thought while washing her hands when an unexpected knock jolted her back to reality.

Opening the door, she found Hope standing there, a towel draped over her shoulders, vigorously drying her damp hair.

Lizzie raised an eyebrow in playful curiosity, "Hey, what's up?"

Hope paused, locking eyes with Lizzie, her blue eyes sparkling with mischief. "How about an adventure? Interested?"

Lizzie, a grin slowly forming, responded, "Oh? And where might this adventure be?"

"Where else? The stadium," Hope declared, her enthusiasm evident.

Chuckling, Lizzie teased, "You could've just said you wanted to practice."

Hope pouted exaggeratedly, making a show of her faux disappointment. "Aw, come on, where's the fun in that?"

Lizzie laughed, "Alright, alright, I'm in! Let me just get dressed," she said, disappearing momentarily to change, the promise of the day ahead making her heart race with excitement.

The expansive stadium echoed with the quiet murmurs of activity outside, but inside the rink, it was just Hope and Lizzie. The glinting ice stretched out before them like an untouched canvas, holding within it the promise of new lessons, new skills, and new challenges.