Chapter 11

The last morning of camp was chaotic for everyone. Campers were hugging and crying and exchanging friendship bracelets or fist bumps and saying their goodbyes. Exhausted counselors were tossing bags and gear into the back of the transport buses, not-so-secretly grateful to get rid of the kids. To the side of all the activity, Akemi and Moriko were sitting on the porch swing of the admin building, which was deserted as all the adults dealt with the departure.

"Remember, you have to hug Dad," Akemi said, "He's used to getting randomly hugged too, so maybe set a timer or something when you get home." She ran her fingers through the part of her hair that used to be dyed. "And hug Kanzaburo for me, too."

"I actually do like hugs, you know," Moriko said, pushing her feet against the wooden porch floorboards to keep the swing in motion. "And of course I'll hug Kanzaburo."

"Mom does like hugs, right?"

"We've been over this already," Moriko said, but her expression was gentle, tinged with understanding. She put her hand on Akemi's arm. "She likes hugs. She's happy to get hugs from me, but I doubt I give as many as you would like to give her."

"Right, right." Akemi quickly grinned. "I'll show some restraint." Somehow.

They had gone over all the details so many times, but Akemi knew there would be things they would both miss and mistakes they would both make. But it wasn't like they needed this to be a permanent situation. No, they just needed to keep up the ruse for a few weeks. They would spend maybe a month, with their other parent and then they would bring them together and their parents would fall in love again and everything would be great. Or, honestly, both girls felt like their parents would simply remember they were in love.

That whole falling out of love thing had to be a mistake.

"Like I said, don't be surprised if Shinya figures it out," Akemi warned Moriko for the third or fourth time. "Don't freak out."

"I'm aware of his observational skills," Moriko said. "And I'll call you if he discovers me."

"More like when," Akemi said, rolling her eyes. Shinya was her best friend, and she probably spent the most time with him. Luckily he was a lot calmer than his own dad, otherwise her dad would've made her make a new best friend. He already wasn't a huge fan of Hayato.

"I'll handle the situation," Moriko said.

Akemi's eyebrows rose and she couldn't help but laugh. "That makes it sound like you're going to assassinate him."

"No! Of course not!" Moriko stared at her and then made a face. "You're the worst."

"No, you are," Akemi said, bumping her shoulder into Moriko's. "Do you really think this is going to work?"

"I believe we have a promising chance of success. Otherwise I wouldn't bother indulging this venture," Moriko said, leaning against Akemi. "I want it to work."

"Me, too," Akemi said. "I'm really excited to meet Mom."

"Technically you must have already met her," Moriko countered. "I may have never met our father."

"You have to call him Dad."

"I will," Moriko said firmly.

Akemi sincerely hoped that Moriko didn't call Dad Father because then he was definitely going to be concerned that camp brainwashed her or something. Not to mention what the rest of her family would think. "I bet you met Dad. I think...I don't think they split up right when we were born. Maybe a few months later?" Or maybe that was her wishful thinking.

"Do you think there are pictures of us all together hidden somewhere?" Moriko asked.

Akemi nodded. "We can always try to hunt them down. Want to add that to the to-do list?"

"Yes," Moriko said.

A creak on the steps made both of them turn their heads in the direction of the noise. The counselor, Murata, winced and stepped back off the steps. "You guys are creepy when you do things in sync."

"Are we?" the two of them asked in unison, tilting their heads to the side.

"Like that! That's freaky!"

Akemi grinned. "You're sort of rude in general, Mr. Murata."

Moriko lifted her chin. "Is there something else you would like to say besides an insult?"

Murata gaped and then shuffled backward. "Yeah, the buses are getting ready to leave. Time to go..." He looked from Moriko to Akemi and then back again. He was probably trying to figure out where to direct them, however— "You know which buses to get on, right?"

"We'll figure it out," Akemi said with a shrug.

He stared at them for another minute and then finally left, retreating to the buses. Moriko stopped the swing, and the two of them got off. Akemi picked up her backpack and then held it out to Moriko.

Moriko glanced at the backpack and then Akemi, who was caught off guard when her twin rushed forward and hugged her. "Make sure to text me frequently, won't you? I'll be in constant communication."

"Don't forget the codewords," Akemi said, hugging her back tight, her eyes stinging. She didn't want to say goodbye, but if this worked out, they wouldn't have to say goodbye ever again. They would all get to be together again.

Akemi gave Moriko one final squeeze and then stepped back, making her face less expressive, more calm, but a smile sneaked into the corner of her mouth. "Akemi, it's been an interesting time at camp. I wish you well on your endeavor."

Moriko smiled, and it looked natural as she took Akemi's backpack from her. "Ditto."