Chapter 3: Sunset Walks

Reggie and Carrie spent the whole day messing with lifers, moving their plates while they were distracted on their phone, Carrie laughing as Reggie used his invisibility to his advantage.

"I guess us lifers really do spend too much time on our phones." Carrie says. They had left the cafe by now and we're walking on the beach as the sun was setting.

"You guys gotta live in the moment, you know. The world is way more interesting than what's on a screen." Reggie says. "Unless the screen is shaking Star Wars. I love Star Wars. Except for the fact they killed Han Solo, like how could they kill off their best character!? And then they added Jar Jar? Whatever that is."

Carrie chuckles.  "My dad's a big Star Wars fan too. Did you guys ever-"

"No way!" Reggie gasps. "Bobby always made fun of me for liking Star Wars, and now you're telling me he's a fan!?"

"I guess people change." Carrie says.

"I'm guessing that's what happened between you and Julie?"

"Not exactly." Carrie sighs. "Well, maybe a little. It's complicated. Besides, I shouldn't even be talking about this with you. I don't want to turn you against Julie or give her a reason to hate me more."

"She thinks you hate her." Reggie says. "I bet if you and her just talked-"

"Reggie I appreciate that you want to help, but some things just can't be fixed." Carrie says. "If there's anything I learned from my parents divorce it's that sometimes people need to separate and it's better for the both of them."

That was the difference between Carrie and Reggie. Carrie's parents made her think people were meant to split up eventually and that was better than having an unhealthy relationship. Reggie on the other hand would do anything to make up with someone or fix their relationship. Splitting up was t an option for him, he was terrified of it.

It's why Sunset Curve never got into many fights. Reggie never let things get to far, he always agreed with everyone as to not rock the boat. And when his bandmates got into arguments he was quickly to find a compromise for the two that were going at it.

"But what if it's not for the better." Reggie says. "Julie said you guys were best friends."

"Key word were." Carrie says. "All good things come to an end. As painful as it is, it's just part of life."

"Oh." Reggie says. "All good things?" His stomach twists. "I mean surely some things can last forever."

"Relax dork, I'm sure you and your ghost boys will be stuck with each other for eternity." Carrie says.

"I'd rather be stuck with them than stuck without them." Reggie says. "Oh shoot, speaking of them, I should get back."

"Yeah, same here. Will I see you tomorrow?"

"If you want." Reggie says. "Do you wanna hang out tomorrow? I didn't...weird you out with all my weird Reggieness?"

"I like your weird Reggieness." Carrie smiles. "Makes life less boring and more bright."

"And you're not half bad either. Flynn says you're a demon."

"Flynn can see you?"

"Oh, no but I hear her tell Julie all the time." Reggie says. "Anyways, I gotta get going. See ya tomorrow!" Reggie waves goodbye and poofs away.

Carrie sighs, wishing they could hang out longer knowing it's not like her dad's gonna notice her absence. He's always so preoccupied with his music career to care what she's up too.