Chapter 4: The Break

It was a single knock.

Father and I were both sitting at the table, exhaustion keeping us from saying anything to each other.

That single knock had us raising our heads to the door.

Just one knock.

Before the door came crashing down.

Father immediately stood, pushing me to stand behind him as a line of males rushed forward. I could see who they wanted. Their eyes fell on father instantly the moment they came through.

"Grab him."

Before they could, I was pushing him to the side, shoving at anyone who tried to touch him.

"Nilsa, no-,"

Even though I was weak in shifting, I was not weak in fighting. I knew that, but many others were never able to make that connection. Power to them- true power - was in the form of fur and four legs. Of canines and claws. No one ever assumed skin could win against a monster.

The man reaching for father falls back, winded from my kick. Father was pushing behind me, trying to make me stop. The others were pushing in front of me, colliding and not caring if I stood there or not.

Renna and mother's voices were heard in the back behind the snarling males. I could see them starting to shift. Their own claws coming out, without even knowing why.

"This is the Beta!" My words are frantic as I try to reach for any reasoning to stop them, "The Alpha has authority here, you cannot touch him unless he says so!"

One male's fist collides with my jaw. I hear the crack of contact. My neck snaps back, but the blood it creates is only spat on his face as I blind his eyes and return the pain.

There are too many. To many in such a tight space.

They overwhelm me. Take me.

I see their hands reaching for father. I see his eyes pleading for me to stop.

I see out front that mother and Renna are already there, battered and confused.

And I see Alpha Laurent waiting.

I'm pushed to my knees, bowing before him as father is also shoved down.

"Esmond."

I look up to see the conflict in Alpha Laurent's eyes.

Before he can act, I throw myself in front of father.

"If you have something against me, take me! Kill me- do not take it out on my family!"

Alpha Laurent's eyes glaze over as he watches my actions.

He looks up, a single glance the only command needed to tell someone to restrain me before hands grab and pull me away.

Father is looking up at Alpha Laurent, no fear within his eyes.

It hits me then that this is not about me. This is not about Alpha Laurent's hate for me. It's between him and father.

A sad smile plays on father's lips as he stares at his Alpha.

"Alpha," he whispers.

Alpha Laurent seems to flinch. He takes a deep breath, inhaling and closing his eyes before stepping forward.

I see Jermone in the distance, his own eyes wide and watching. He is taking in his father. I want to scream out to him. For him to do something. But just as I am about to, his gaze turns to me.