15

The frigid embrace of the chilly air surrounded me, its bitter coldness seeping into my skin. Each breath I took was filled with the icy sting of the atmosphere, mirroring the ache in my heart. In that frozen moment, time seemed to stand still, as if the air itself was holding its breath.

As I stood before Ryann, the pain became overwhelming.

"Why...?" I whispered, my voice heavy with defeat and despair.

She managed to utter my name, "Ran..." Her voice trembled, "I am sorry."

Anger welled up inside me, but seeing her tears broke me completely.

"Where had you been all this time?" I asked.

She remained silent.

I couldn't stop asking, countless unanswered inquiries flooding my mind. "Why did you leave?"

Still, no response.

"Ryann, why must you leave me hanging?" I pressed on.

She shook her head, seemingly disagreeing with all my questions.

"Ran... I had... I had to," she said between impending tears, her words barely audible amidst the desolate landscape.

"There were circumstances beyond my control," she continued.

Ryann's voice became shaky with each word. She struggled to find the right way to explain herself, her tears falling freely onto the icy ground.

"I...I never wanted to leave you hanging, Ran," she finally confessed, her voice choked with emotion. "But...things were...so messed up."

I looked into her eyes, searching for answers that could soothe the pain in my heart. "Tell me," I pleaded, my voice barely above a whisper. "Tell me what happened."

She shook her head, tears streaming down her face. "Ran...I...please forget about me."

I was deeply puzzled.

"Then why are you even here? Ryann, I don't understand it all. You're saying that, yet you're here at my game? Does that even make sense?" I blurted out, overwhelmed with emotions.

Ryann broke into loud sobs. I never expected to witness her crying like this. It was tearing me apart.

For a moment, she wavered, almost collapsing onto the icy ground, but I managed to catch her.

I felt panic rising within me. "Stop crying... shhh... let's go inside the car. It's too cold out here," I said, wiping away the tears streaming down her face.

"No... no," she shook her head. "I should go," she replied, still in tears.

"Ryann, you're not okay right now. Where are you staying? I'll take you to your home," I responded.

She persistently shook her head, as if not wanting me to inquire about this any further, still sobbing uncontrollably.

"In that case, where are you planning to go? Ryann, I won't let you go alone. Not now, not after you've already revealed yourself to me. Let's address our issues honestly and openly, and then we can decide what to do next." Taking a deep breath, I continued, feeling the pain in my heart. "...And if that's truly what you want... I have to accept it."

She shook her head once more. "I...I do not stay here..." she replied weakly.

"Not even a hotel?" I asked, confused.