Chapter Four

Noah

"And remember, all homework is due by Friday." I write a couple of page numbers and words on the board. "You have an entire week to work on it, so there should be no excuses!"

I give my students the "I'm watching you" sign with my fingers, and then the bell rings.

Folders and books are quickly being shoved in to bags and the students stagger out of the classroom. I exchange a few goodbyes with them, and then the room is empty.

"Knock knock." My door is kept open, and I see someone standing there in my peripheral vision. It's Sarah.

She gives me a small wave and smiles at me. "Oh, hey." I put my hand up slightly.

It's our first time seeing each other after the breakup. We hadn't texted each other, I had already muted her on social media, and her contact had already been deleted off my phone. I'd been avoiding her the whole day, taking the long way around during passing time and prep time. I usually eat in the teacher's lounge, but I had decided to eat in my classroom instead, just to avoid any interaction.

But here she is, and I can't get out of this without sounding like a dick.

"Did you want to come in?" I ask her, although I'm hoping the answer is no.

"For a bit." She nods. She walks in and stands a foot or two away from my desk.

Sarah coming to see me at the end of the day is not an unusual thing. She'd usually come and check in on me, but that's when we were dating, and now we're not.

"Today was a tough day." She complains, rubbing her fingers on her temples. Oh, she's here to vent. I guess that's what... friends do too.

I allow her to speak about her day for awhile. She brings up incidents that happened in class, conversations she had with parents, some comments made by the principal. And as much as I'd hate to not give her my time, I really don't care to see her right now.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

My phone starts ringing, my saving grace. I don't even look to see who's calling and gesture towards Sarah that I'm going to take this. She stops talking abruptly, and I answer my phone.

"Noah!!!" I hear someone say my name excitedly on the other end.

"Yes, hey, what's up?" I mouth to Sarah to tell her it's Tina on the phone.

"Oh ok, I'm going to head out then." She whispers, trying to mime her words out. I nod, and she leaves the room, closing the door behind her.

"Oh God, Tina you're a lifesaver." I say before she can respond to my previous question.

"Oh, what, why?"

"Sarah was just here." I cup my hands over the phone and say quietly, just in case Sarah is still in earshot.

"Huh?? The pact Noah, the pact!!" She says worriedly.

"Yes, yes I know. She wasn't here for anything like that, she just came here to talk. And..." I pause for a bit. "I just really didn't want to talk to her."

"Totally understandable dude." She empathizes. "Anyways, I was calling to tell you that while you were at work I figured out what I could teach you today!" I hear excitement in her voice.

"And that is?"

"A surprise! But just know it's something you really suck at, and that I invited Lena over to help me!"

"Something I suck at? So, nothing?" I say sarcastically.

"Yeah whatever dummy, I think you know what it is." I can imagine Tina rolling her eyes on the other end. "Anyways, maybe in an hour or two, so no need to rush home!"