Stubborn

When Ai got home, she was exhausted—her first day of school was filled with loads more socializing than she was prepared for. As she collapsed on her bed, face-down, Ai thought back to all the peculiar happenings, and how somehow, they all revolved around her beloved sport.

Admitting to her entire class she used to play volleyball, which led to her somewhat conversing with her new seat-neighbors (one more than the other), who both happened to be on their volleyball team.

Crashing into Kita right after school, who was the captain of the said team—which led to him helping Ai limp to the gym, where all the volleyball shenanigans took place. Then Kurosu sat next to her the entire practice, making it his life's mission to persuade Ai to join as their manager.

It all ended with running into Akagi, someone who played the same position that Ai used to be the queen of—and giving him a prized treat that she paid for with her own money.

After thinking about all these scenarios, Ai began to think, 'If I didn't know any better, I'd say the volleyball gods have it out for me. It's like someone or something doesn't want me to leave the world of the sport just yet... These coincidences are too much.'

Fortunately for her drained brain, Ai's phone lets out a loud ding, shoving those thoughts away. As soon as she read who messaged her, a rare smile graced her face.

[Kenken]
Are u hopping on tonight?

.

[Mura]
Prepare to carry me for several rounds

.

[Kenken]
What's going on? Bad first day?

.

[Mura]
...
Not necessarily. Just have something on my mind, is all

.

[Kenken]
Is everything ok?

.

[Mura]
Yeah, I'm okay, dw
Just got bombarded after school

.

[Kenken]
What happened?

.

[Mura]
My day was weirdly surrounded by volleyball.
Short story short, the coach of the boy's volleyball team kept hassling me about becoming their manager.
I guess they haven't had one in years, and the coach wants me to sign up and help out.

.

[Kenken]
Ngl, my team hasn't had a manager in a while either
If ur dad sent u to Tokyo, u could've managed for Nekoma instead

.

[Mura]
C'mon Kenma, you and I both know I'd only be your team's worst nightmare.
Having you there in person would only wanna make me drag you away to play games somewhere

.

[Kenken]
I wouldn't mind.

The following morning when Ai got to class, she wasn't prepared for the weirdness Osamu and Suna seemed to be exhibiting. At first, she chalked it up to friendliness, perhaps even nosiness, for as soon as Ai sat down, their eyes were on her. Ai didn't even need to look to her left or right to feel their gazes—they weren't sharp glares or anything of the like, but they were unwavering. Even when Suzuki walked in and started class, Suna and Osamu's line of sight never left Ai's form.