32

Being back in New York feels like a fish being back in the sea after a long time in the sand

It feels good to finally be in my boat. In my own apartment.

I've been back for two days, and despite wanting to stay in bed for days, sleeping, I had to run around, trying to get a loan of a sum enough to shut Austin's mouth.

So far, I was only approved for 20k, which is not nearly enough. I'm going to try and negotiate with him to, at least, give me a few more days.

I'm supposed to give him the money tomorrow, and weirdly he hasn't contacted me since he sent that video to Alexandre.

I highly doubt he decided to let me off the hook. He's probably up to something.

A knock resonates through my one-bedroom apartment, making to turn down the volume of the music playing.

The person standing behind me catches me off guard. It wasn't who I expected to see. At all.

It's Alexandre.

I haven't seen him the past few days. Anderson wants to cut down on public outings, to make it seem more real.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, folding my arms over my chest.

He's dressed in a leather jacket and jeans, with a black cap.

"Can't visit my girlfriend?" He asks, stepping around me, and walking into my apartment.

"Yeah, of course, come in," my voice drips with sarcasm. "And I'm not your girlfriend," I add, realizing what he said. I shut the door and moved further into my apartment.

"Anderson wants me to introduce you to my family," he says, taking a seat on the couch, acting like he owns the place.

"What?" I furrow my brows, confused. "Why?"

"For the media. It'll help my image," he answers my question.

"Does your family know about this arrangement?" I ask, checking the time on my watch to make sure I have burnt my dinner.

"No, which is why you're not saying anything about this to them," he keeps looking around, probably not used to not having luxury all around me. IKEA furniture is probably something he never seen before. "My family is hosting a big family event each year. It's in a few days. I need you to come with me, so I can introduce you. They don't that this is all for show."

"When exactly?"

"The day after tomorrow."

I'm supposed to transfer the money that day. I haven't even sorted that situation out entirely.

"You can't expect me to just drop everything and run after you on such short notice," I express.

"I can, if I'm paying you," he simply says, once again, throwing that fact in my face for the millionth time.