Chapter 14

<< FON CARLSON >>

The next day, Fon is apprehensive. Earlier, during her senior lessons, she was called to face the judges of the Great Search. She is still angry at Prim, Rosa, and Utente. In fact, she is also angry at all the other students who look at her with fear.

She also knew that Finn, that aberrant pet the Kleinfeld clan has, overheard the way Utente says that she already has Xilinx mark. And having Myrielle as one of the judges, not to mention Philomena, she fears the result. Still, she is hoping that the current judges will be sound in their assessment of what happened.

As the sound of her shoes echoes along the hallway, she thinks about how, after the third task, everyone becomes busy. The fourth final task is even postponed due to the damages brought by Prim's transportation experiment. As her punishment, Prim's clan members will be brought to the highest Council to be questioned, that is after she is healthy enough. Although, there is no doubt that their nobility will be taken away.

Myrielle, on the other hand, is tasked to properly seal the dark wizard and reinforce what Sven had done. As for the other Great Search participants, they are all in the infirmary to recuperate and take back the magick that they lost from the previous challenges. She snorts. Ain't that too nice for them?

Arriving at her destination, Fon enters the private room for the Great Search judges. They use the room for discussion especially when it's a room heavy with magick–mostly spells that counter eavesdropping.

She stands in front of the panel of judges and interlace her fingers behind her. She observes the way the eight judges look at her. There is scrutiny in their expressions. And it doesn't bode well for her.

It is Philomena who takes a deep breath before leaning forward. "We are very sorry, Fon. But you are disqualified from the Great Search," she says. "This is what the majority of us in the Council had decided."

"Just this Great Search?" she asks, trying hard not to let her voice tremble.

"No, you will be banned from participating in any Great Search... indefinitely."

"Why?" she asks, raising her chin.

"For reasons, we can't disclose," one of the judges says.

Fon clenches her jaws. It feels as if her world has fallen. Certainly, it's due to the mark, either that aberrant or Philomena told them even before she can make a move! And now, she has nothing. What's the use of being a powerful witch when she can't be a Great Witch? Should I become a dark witch instead? So they will regret this decision?!

"I'm a powerful witch. During the tasks and challenges, surely you've seen that I deserve the position?"

"Your talents will be placed somewhere else."

She purses her lips and hides her hands in her pants pocket. This is so unfair!

"Who's going to be the Great Witch then? Sven? Cesky? Those two won't even become as good as me, no matter how much they study!"

"Any other words you'd like to say?" Myrielle interjects. Her hands are under her chin and she is studying her reactions closely.

Fon stays frozen. How will she defend herself especially when she perfectly knows the reason for her eviction from the Great Search? She lost everything, and she feels... so empty. All because of Prim's play on the dark arts.

No. It is also her fault. She was too sure of herself, too haughty, that she lost sight of what matters to her.

"If you have nothing else to say, I will read your transgressions during the challenge," Jayden starts. "Transporting the Scepters. Being involved in the Cordajel event in the forest. Enchantment on the children to make them believe everything they have seen is just a dream. Taking the dragon out of its designated room which causes the dragon masters frustrated and with more work. Earning the wrath of the audience which you should–"