Chapter 25

"Okay, what about Pride & Prejudice?" Cara asked, pointing the remote at the TV screen as scrolled through the array of movie options

"No, I'll cry," Lily said.

"Hmm, The Devil Wears Prada?"

A brief pause before Lily quipped, "Great movie but I want fluffy, swoony romance. Nothing like a night of fictional romance and their fictional men."

A snort from Cara before she continued pressing the button of her remote to skip through to the next option.

"Okay...what about The In Between?"

Lily tilted her head in contemplation but as I snacked on the big bowl of popcorn between us, a thought popped into my mind.

"Isn't the plot based on his death or something?"

Cara's lips pinched. "So, that's a no."

Lily groaned and flopped herself onto the couch cushion like a starfish, limbs sprawled and hair fanning everywhere.

"We are never going to find a movie to watch like this. They're all either too boring, too depressing, or too not swoony enough."

I chuckled and grabbed another handful of popcorn.

Cara, Lily and I were currently lounging in the middle of Cara's living/dining room of her dorm, surrounded by all kinds of candies, chocolates and chips. Lily even managed to snag a bottle of wine. Though, I wasn't sure any of us were up for it considering we still had early morning classes tomorrow.

Apparently, Cara's roommate was out of town for a night at a festival downtown, so Cara took it upon herself to take advantage of her bachelor pad.

Thus, leading to the three of us snacking on an alarming pile of junk food, an unopened bottle of wine and on track to scrolling hundreds of movie covers in the next hour instead of watching the actual movie.

Bryan didn't say anything when I'd told him about my plans for a night in with the girls, but after our little disagreement in the training basement, he never broached the subject again.

However, even then- even after the weight of our words had settled to the backs of our minds and the tenseness that lingered in the hours after our argument had vanished, his last words still rang through my head with an eerie sense of doom.

He's going to break your heart. And you'll be too smitten by him to notice until it's too late.

Inky, black dread smothered away the earlier ease spilling into my limbs, now too swept up in the haze of his warning to notice the question they both had directed at me.

"Aleia? Hello? Where'd you go?"

I blinked up. Two concerned pairs of eyes met mine.

"Huh? Oh, sorry." I waved a hand in the air and grappled for another piece of popcorn. "I got distracted thinking about a project due next week."